SQ V1.5.4

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ V1.5.4

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Carl N Carl N 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi All,

SQ V1.5.4 is now available to download 🙂
    You can grab it here – https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/sq-software/

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of JohnOC
    JohnOC
    Participant

Going to be an upgrade party then on Saturday with Windows 21H1 out and OBS 27.0 just released too 🙂

Profile photo of quyết toàn
    quyết toàn
    Participant

có gì hay không nhỉ

Profile photo of Carl N
    Carl N
    Participant

I see there’s some changes to AMM metering. That’s great news! Hoping it fixes the PAFL/AMM issues also. I won’t be at the desk for at least a few days but very keen to try it out 🙂

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Hoping it fixes the PAFL/AMM issues also

as far as I remember there were no issues with PAFL… there were only wrong expectations… 😉
    last time I did a job with a SQ the PAFL worked as expected to me, only the metering was misleading

Profile photo of Carl N
    Carl N
    Participant

Of course there are issues Steffan, the same issues that were present and have been fixed on dLive if I remember correctly. But I understand from almost every previous post of yours that you just like to be obtuse and argumentative, so I’ll just leave it to you to continue doing that. Have a great day.

Profile photo of Europe
    Europe
    Participant

👏👏

SteffenR
    Participant

Of course there are issues

Which? I don’t remember them… it was 2 months ago, as I used the SQ with AMM
    could reproduce the metering issue

SteffenR
    Participant

found the old thread

PFL and AMM signal flow issues

@noiseboy1176

I couldn’t reproduce your issue with the PAFL…
    I could PFL channels assigned to AMM even if they are muted…

I remember failed to reproduce your problem on the last gig I had
    but could reproduce the issue with the AMM metering…

maybe @keithjah could chime in here…?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Sure! – V1.5.4 is a maintenance release. Along with bug fixes, these can include improvements, but do not add features and very rarely make any fundamental changes to the core.
    As @SteffenR pointed out, the position of the AMM gain stage (which I’m pretty sure is what’s being referred to here) would not be classed as a bug/issue which needs to be fixed because it’s currently working as intended.
    The discussion in that linked thread is about whether it would be better in a different position, and if that were deemed so, it would require changes to the core architecture and quite a lot of development/testing time.

Profile photo of Carl N
    Carl N
    Participant

@steffenr to reproduce what I’m discussing simply add some mics to AMM and have their faders up so the AMM is actively affecting them. Then PFL a channel which is also in the AMM but is muted or has its fader down… You will hear nothing because the AMM has silenced that channel (doing it’s job) and the PFL sits after the AMM in the signal chain.

Best practice here (and standard in broadcast) is to have the AMM sit post fader in the signal chain. Instead A&H have opted to have the AMM be pre-fader but the key for it is post fader, they call this “fader follow”. That works great except for the fact the case where you want to PFL a channel to listen to EQ and compression, but you must also listen to the AMM gain reduction.

I hope that explanation makes sense, I’m very tired after some very long gig days with lots of travel.

@Kiethjah Yes, my bad, I misspoke in calling it an issue or a bug, and I completely understand that those sort of changes require significantly more work and resources than a maintenance release allows. Hopefully A&H see fit to look into this and make some changes as it really is the only thing holding this console back from being a serious competitor against the Yamaha QL in broadcast world… Which is amazing considering the massive price difference between the two consoles.

Profile photo of Europe
    Europe
    Participant

@KeithJ_A&H – let me whole heartedly agree with what @Carl_N says about the superb features and value of the SQ, and please forgive me as I don’t understand the complexities of programming the firmware for a console like this ( or indeed any digital console ), but it may be a ‘quick fix’ to allow an option for the meter and PFL point to be moved to between the delay and AMM blocks, and / or just pre the delay block, this would give you level and PFL at a much better point for use of the AMM.
    Thanks.

SteffenR
    Participant

Carl…
    ok I think I get your point, default PFL point could be post delay…
    but the gain stage of the AMM is pre delay
    you can set your PFL point to post EQ, so it’s before the AMM
    I was doing it exactly like this, to have PFL and a working AMM

Profile photo of Carl N
    Carl N
    Participant

@SteffenR, Yep, that was one of the workaround solutions I came up with, the downside though is that PFL is then pre-compressor, not a deal breaker but still frustrating as compression is of course very important for talking heads broadcast content.

Another workaround that I came up with, and the one I currently use, is to have the AMM page open on my laptop and individually take mics out of the AMM to PFL them. This gets tricky though when you have lots of mics and have moved faders around on the surface so they are no longer in the same order as on the AMM page.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.