SQ SQ-Drive

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ SQ-Drive

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JTRJAMMER JTRJAMMER 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am very interested in an SQ-5, especially the SQ-Drive feature. Is there someone I can discuss that with rather than a general post that is open to everyone. Thanks. I can’t write a support ticket as I am not a customer yet. Regards, Tony

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,
    Anyone can submit a Support ticket, you don’t need to be a customer.
    Alternatively, you can ask other users here on the forum, or you can get in touch with your local A&H distributor for advice.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Kool thanks I did not know that. I am interested in buying an SQ-5. My good friend and I run sound for Bands in clubs and street parties. He has a QU-16 which he loves, me too by the way! He records using the Qu drive which works very well for him. My concern is if the SQ drive feature is as reliable. I saw just one or two posts about issues with SQ drive, and I was not sure if they were isolated incidents or not. it’s a tough question to ask. I just am not sure if i should buy an SQ or a QU series. I could wait if it’s a matter of the desk needing time to mature, I have seen that you made lots of nice updates to the QU series, bravo for that. I have been using a competitors desk, but it has had too many problems, so that’s going out the door. Thanks, Kind Regards, Tony

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Is anyone using an SQ-5 and getting good results with the SQ-Drive feature?
    I would like some assurance that If I buy an SQ-5 that I will be able to record using the mixer.
    I already have another mixer that supposedly records but does not work.
    I would prefer to buy an SQ over the Qu series, I just need some advice.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of Vermaak
    Vermaak
    Participant

I’ve not yet had the chance to test the SQ-Drive as we are running our SQ-5 on it’s first show but we own a Qu-24 and Qu-16 and have had a number of failed recordings over the last few years mostly on our Qu-16

It’s a great feature but if it’s that critical that you would consider a different desk you should have a backup device for recording regardless.

What I will say is that in the short time I’ve had the SQ and using it on its first job I don’t want to take the Qu out anymore and I’m going to upgrade my other desks to SQ’s

Profile photo of Yann
    Yann
    Participant

Hey Tony

Ive had my SQ for 6 weeks and started recording my shows on the SQ drive. I find it’s great and easy to use. If you are recording stereo out then you’ll have no trouble I’m sure. Multitrack is heavy on data so you ought to use a decent hard drive, not just a memory stick, but the SQ is more than capable. I did only use it for a while then I started running USB straight into Logic on my mac. If you have this as an option its much better for editing afterwards as it is already in the program and you don’t need to drag and drop hours of WAV files into your computer.

Anyway.. dont get a new QU! Get a SQ you won’t regret it! 🙂

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

I don’t know if this applies to you but something I didn’t realise when I bought the mixer is SQ drive can not record anything coming in from the back USB when using it. Drums from the computer in my case, which was a bit of a disappointment. If you’re only using local inputs it should be good, with compatible hardware.

Profile photo of Yann
    Yann
    Participant

Whatsoup, That comment surprised me so I tried it, but you are right! However i’m sure the desk would need to put all its processing power into the multitrack recording. Asking it to also multitrack playback from another source is probably pushing it. You don’t want to compromise output recording quality.

Just run a stereo out from your computer into a local for the live performance and then send that stereo to the SQ drive. If the mix of the drums wasn’t right in the recording. Just delete the recorded drum track and add a better one in later in the studio. The timing will still be perfect because the band performed to the drum track on the night and then you’ll be able to further tweak your multitrack drums on top of the SQ drive recording.

(just realised you didn’t say anything about a band, sorry if I assumed wrong)

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

Hi Yann, no band here, mostly electronic. Routing the drums into a local port is a great idea but I don’t have the means to send the audio out. I would also rather process everything on the SQ so I’ll stick to recording to the DAW, which doesn’t have the SQ drive limitation.

I would have thought the SQ drive being 16×16 and the USB-B being 32×32, bandwidth would be spare, but as they’re probably different USB controllers (I don’t know the tech specs) you can’t easily split the bandwidth/channels between the two.

SQ drive was a big selling point for me, but using the DAW will be better in the long run. I just need to work out how to set it all up properly! Pulling my hair out with the software side 😐

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Thanks to each of your for your response. Yann may I ask what mac you are using for your DAW recording to logic off the mixer?
    I have a mac book pro mid 2012, 2.3 GHZ i7, 8GB Ram USB 3.0 ports. Should do the trick I would think. Again I am grateful for the
    info. I will get the SQ then. 🙂

Profile photo of Jedifyll
    Jedifyll
    Participant

I can attest to the Mac Recording although this is a dedicated recording machine with nothing else running on it.
    Would be interested in what Yann has but here are my specs:

I have a brand new 21″ iMac/3.6Ghz i7/16GB Ram/512GB SSD
    Logic Pro X 10.4.2
    TrippLite USB 2.0 A-B with Ferrite Cores (TrippLite USB 2.0 A-B cable

Very happy with results but I haven’t stressed tested it yet. Most I’ve gotten is 14 tracks for about 17 minutes. No Issues. Will be testing out at church event with 22 channels for about an hour. I’ll report back on results.

Profile photo of Ethan
    Ethan
    Participant

Let me direct you to this thread for some tips when you start looking at recording via USB: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/collection-of-wishes

Profile photo of Jedifyll
    Jedifyll
    Participant

Forgot to mention I’m running that on MacOS 10.13.4 which is currently unsupported.

Profile photo of Yann
    Yann
    Participant

Hi Guys.

I’m on a macbook Pro 2015
    2.9 Ghz i5, 8gb Ram

But I bought it for office work, not for music! Processing speed is fine, Faster than my Mrs’ 2017 basic iMac!

But big problems with the 500gb Flash storage. I can get about 2 minutes of multitrack before it gives up. SSD would be ideal but not in a position to upgrade the computer yet so on the lookout for a good external. You can route all of logic’s temporary and permanent recording files into an external drive with a trick apple don’t recommend but it works. Anyway, thats my problem… the SQ and logic are best mates! So easy routing out of the mixer and then assigning those channels to any track in the DAW.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

While a flash drive will work, it may struggle keeping up when recording multi track.

I’ve had good luck using a Seagate 1 TB USB drive for the SQ-Drive. Just remember to press ‘stop’ at the end of the evening !

I have also used a MacBook Pro for multi track from the USB-B output with no problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.