SQ multitrack outputs

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ multitrack outputs

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of collider collider 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

Hi There,

On the upcoming tour we´re faced with a video-crew expecting to receive all our input channels (32 might be the count) on separate tracks. Can I use the USB- port to record straight to an external hard-drive, not using a DAW? Also, what would be a viable solution, if it happens to be a live broadcast? Sending a custom layer outputs trough AES, perhaps? any reliable solutions? We have no extra cards on deck, just SLink to a GX48 on stage…

Regards,

T.K.

Profile photo of Phil Driscoll
    Phil Driscoll
    Participant

You can use the USB port on the front of the desk to record straight to a hard drive. You can record up to 32 channels at 48KHz or up to 16 at 96KHz.

Stonepiano
    Participant

No, I can´t. SQ- drive records 16 inputs + L/R. I need to get about 30 individual channels out of the desk, digitally. I´m talking possibilities to use the USB B- port, or AES…

Cheers,

T.K.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

USB B is only usable in combination with a Computer and a DAW. It is no host port, like the one on zhe top of the console. Using a newer firmware on your SQ you can record, as Phil said, up to 32 individual signals via SQ drive at 48 kHz Sampling rate. It might be worth To have a look at the current reference manual, chapter 13, for details.

Stonepiano
    Participant

OK, fine, thanks… missed that. But I´m still trying to figure out a way to send all my inputs to a secondary destination.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Please remember, the A&H USB multi-track recording protocol is a fixed ,limited live capture option. It was never intended to be an open multi track format. So for that reason the Waves/Dante port us available that will enable direct recording contact to as many inputs as your SQ will accommodate. Please read the manual, that is available for everyone to read, before asking “A square peg into a round hole question” in these forums.
    Hugh

Stonepiano
    Participant

Well,

I told yuo guys, that we don´t have any option cards installed, nor will there be any for this tour. I was reading an oudated reference- manual, so sorry.
    *Comment removed*
    I´m fine, if I can just hand the tracks for the videoteam for post. a whole different ballgame, if it´s a live broadcast…

Again, so sorry I wasted your precious time. Most of my time is spent mixing the band…

P.S. a “participant” is NOT a moderator, perhaps Hugh does not understand the difference?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

AES is only two channels.

What is on the video side for audio input, another audio mixer of some kind, DAW recording software, ect?

Maybe an ole fashioned analog split would do it.
    For this tour are you going to be carrying a dedicated monitor mixer? if so
    how are you splitting to that.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Hi Mike,

– so far I have no info, trying to get them to reply to my enquiries.they wished for Dante, that much I know. If it´s going to be live on the air, I´m going to give them a couple of stereo- stems, I have a few auxes unused. We are travelling lite, and I hope The Swedish Radio can accomodate…

T.K.

Stonepiano
    Participant

I´m driving monitors from FOH. The radio-guys excpect to see digital. I´m sure they could bring a multichannel interface, and accept my GX- analog outputs. It´s another conversion, but what the heck- they are not recording an album, but a one-off TV show.

Cheers,

T.K.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

To be honest, we don’t call anyone ::: in here…
    To answer a correct post with no, is not that polite anyway.

If the radio guys asked for Dante, it is perfectly clear what they expect…
    Maybe it is possible for them to rent a Dante Card for your SQ. This would be the easiest way to do a split… and will reduce the cabling to a minimum.

Setting up tie lines on your GX will be easy as well, just a one time effort.

Stonepiano
    Participant

– if you think Hugh was “polite” in his reply, so be it. Here in Finland we have a saying that translates as something like: “the forest replies, as it was addressed”.

Never Mind, I´ll just ask them to bring a Mac with ProTools, and feed the stuff from USB B.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

But be aware that youonly can use either the SQ drive or USB B but not both.
    And again, even if you do not want to hear it, adding a Dante card allows you to use SQ drive (max 32 signals) and Dante simultaneously.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

What SQ reference manual did Stonepiano read that did not include the port options of a Waves or Dante card? Understanding and dealing with our operational limitations is a defining earmark of a professional practitioner.
    Hugh

Stonepiano
    Participant

If the production is not willing to get that Dante-card, I´m certainly not going to pay for it from my own pocket. I´m a hired hand, the console is not mine. “Dealing with operational imitations” is exactly what I´m trying to do here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.