SQ -> ME1/500 Connectivity

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ -> ME1/500 Connectivity

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lightingman117 lightingman117 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Can SQ6/5 SLink -> dSnake into POE switch (unmanaged) into ME1/500 same as QU series?

Does the ME1/500 output provide pass-thru POE?

Can you daisychain ME1/500’s with POE injectors?

When using DX168; what would the configuration look like that would create ME1/500 connections?
    [Currently it looks like we would need an sLink card in order to connect to the DX168(‘s) (1 or 2) and use the onboard sLink port in dSnake mode for the ME1/500’s. It would be advantageous to go straight out of the DX168 into the ME1’s (like AB168), but I doubt that’s possible.]

I’ve read through the SQ6-S-Link-Connection guide.

I’ve also read through the manual (1.01 reference guide).

Not sure if SQ connectivity to the personal mixers is the same as QU series.

lightingman117
    Participant

Perhaps I need to rephrase my question.

I see support for DX Hub is probably going to be supported with v1.2 which is coming soon.

It seems possible to go from SQ -> DXHub -> split -> [DX168x2 per port & ME-U].
    The only issue I see is the 32×32 ch per port will only allow the ME’s to have access to 32 of their 40 inputs.

Seems like there is a need for a DX2412 with expander port (for ME personal mixers) and keeping 96kHz.

I love that the ME system can work on nearly any protocol (with ME-U), but I think the SQ (& QU/GLD) should have a dedicated port for the ME system outside of the SLink/dSnake so we can run the personal mixers at the same time as a stage box.

When the sLink card comes out it needs to have more than 1x sLink port. One for sLink & one for monitors (ME connection [dSnake]).

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi lightingman117

I’ll try to answer the questions that I can for you.

Does the ME1/500 output provide pass-thru POE?

No. The PoE standard used can only supply enough power for one ME unit.

Can you daisychain ME1/500’s with POE injectors?

Yes.

When using DX168; what would the configuration look like that would create ME1/500 connections?

As soon as you’re using a DX expander, the SLink port is running at 96 kHz, which is not compatible with the ME system. In this case you would need an SLink option card to connect ME units.

It seems possible to go from SQ -> DXHub -> split -> [DX168x2 per port & ME-U].

Again, since this uses the DX Hub, the expansion becomes a 96 kHz system that does not work with ME.

hope this helps.

– Jeff

lightingman117
    Participant

Okay thanks, so the ME-U hub can’t accept 96 kHz gigaACE connections only 48kHz. Thanks for the patience, I now see where in the manual(s) it states that.

Will a card be created for ME-U so that it can?

I’m afraid of not being able to fully utilizing stage boxes (96kHz) & the ME system.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi lightingman117

If you were to use Dante or Waves in the SQ Option Card port, this would be able to run in 48 kHz mode, and connect to a ME-U with an appropriate card fitted. You could also use an SLink Option Card in the Option Card port, and directly connect to the ME system with that. That’s all I can think of right now. The advantage of Dante/Waves is that you could do monitor split and/or recording at the same time as the ME sends.

– Jeff

lightingman117
    Participant

Thanks Jeff, I was thinking through connectivity situations for installs/live sound scenarios.

The problem with other protocols than dSnake is it won’t carry names to the ME1’s 🙁 Though you can pre-program the ME1’s or in the ME-U.

I’m thinking a 96kHz box with a monitor/expander port for ME-U/ME1/ME500 is in order 😉 [Either that or the sLink card should have both sLink & monitor outputs).

I want the FOH SQ6 slot to be used for waves/dante then sLink to a monitor mixer with a sLink card that goes to stage box(es) [dx hub] & ME-U hub. That would be an ultimate setup.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.