sq eq channel

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions sq eq channel

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rox-ale
    rox-ale
    Participant

In the sq6 mixer there would be the possibility in the equalizer of a channel, to hide the waveform of the eq and to leave only the parameters?
    Maybe with a button to show and hide the waveform.

It would be a very useful feature

Thanks Alessio

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Can you explain how that would be useful?

Profile photo of rox-ale
    rox-ale
    Participant

It would be very useful to be able to equalize a channel without seeing the waveform that comes out but only the parameters.
    It would be like seeing the equalizer of an analog mixer channel. Sometimes seeing the waveform that comes out you get scared and you want to change it and make a wrong eq but with a more beautiful waveform.
    It would be very useful for me to be able to see only the parameters of the eq and that’s it

I wish there was a button on that screen that if you press it leaves only the parameters, while if you click it it also shows the waveform that comes out. It would be something similar to what I attach, hoping that you understand

Alessio

Attachments:
    Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Rox-Ale,
    It’s probably not best practice to mix or record according to the beauty of a depiction of a waveform, any more than it is to mix according to the position of the faders or the number of meter lights that are lit. That’s what ear training is all about. I agree with what NotTooLoud inferred – it’s doubtful that it’s a very useful “feature”.

Profile photo of rox-ale
    rox-ale
    Participant

That’s right I agree with you. You don’t have to mix by looking at the waveform but by using your ear. That’s why I asked for this function, just to mix using the ear.
    Therefore I would like to review the same thing in a digital mixer as in an analog mixer. See attached image in the previous post, leaving only the parameters
    If it is not clear in case I answer again

Alessio

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi!

When you disble the function which opens the processing window automaticly, you can leaf any screen and use the EQ Knobs without any grafical response…

But maybe then it would be great to get the values (like it’s realized on Midas Pro Series):
    no matter what your screen is showing – when you turn any knob -> the get’s a small popup with the value inside.

This would ba a great thing for the SQ!
    I love this little popup value – without changing the screen!

greetings dd

Profile photo of rox-ale
    rox-ale
    Participant

I confirm with what ioTon says.
    Having a screen like that of the midas pro x, regarding eq. I attach image
    I confirm that the function would come in handy

Alessio

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I agree in general that mixing on a digital mixer draws your attention to the mixer surface/screen more than mixing on analog where you knew where the knobs were and you
    could instinctively reach for, grab, turn and adjust a knob without looking, sometimes
    two at a time!

As for the channel EQ screen if you have the screen on a different menu and select the
    channel you want to adjust and just use the three EQ knobs and band select buttons.

Ok more or less like what ioTon just said.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Perhaps.

But I saw our MD play the Qu like it was a piano keyboard, or touch typing on a typewriter.
    He knew where everything was and the significance of what was done on the Qu.

Most people will not have that ability.
    But if you could do it on analog, you could learn to do it on digital too.

Profile photo of rox-ale
    rox-ale
    Participant

Mike C, corrected that I can use the eq knobs on another page, but I have nothing on hand. The 3 knobs of the eq show nothing, they have no indicators. I would like there to be a screen that displays only the parameters as in the photos I attached earlier. It’s fine to see the parameter values, God forbid, but if it were possible not to see the graph it would be better (or with a hide / show button).

Alessio

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Perhaps.

But I saw our MD play the Qu like it was a piano keyboard, or touch typing on a typewriter.
    He knew where everything was and the significance of what was done on the Qu.

Most people will not have that ability.
    But if you could do it on analog, you could learn to do it on digital too.

True as do I on a Qu surface unless you do need to do something in a menu, that said I do a lot on the iPad as well so that does require to keep an eye on the screen.

For speed I do like the dedicated EQ knobs for each band on the QU over the band button select on the SQ.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

I agree with Alessio and ioTon that having a Midas ProX pop-up-like window for the EQ parameters would be desirable. But whether you’re looking at a graphical representation of the EQ or the numerical values of the EQ, you’re still looking at a screen, so I’m not sure there’s an advantage of one over the other.

And MikeC – I agree that using a digital surface, in general, demands more attention to the console and results in less attention being paid to the performers. But I blame that more on those desks – like the Avids – that rely on the use of a trackball, which I hate, or a mouse which is only slightly better. I am liking the implementation of the UI on the SQ desk. I’m able to get in and out of a parameter adjustment and get back to listening, rather than paying attention to the desk itself. If anything, having the ability to have an external screen locked to a particular view – like a monitor mix or an FX – would allow me even more time to spend on paying attention to the performer and less on pushing buttons.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If anything, having the ability to have an external screen locked to a particular view – like a monitor mix or an FX – would allow me even more time to spend on paying attention to the performer and less on pushing buttons.

You can more or less do that by using an iPad and have the iPad set on the needed menu.
    The QU24, Qu32 and SQ7 even have a handy place to put the iPad.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

You can more or less do that by using an iPad and have the iPad set on the needed menu.

Ah, thank you for that reminder. Yes, that’s a very workable solution. Several weeks ago, KeithJ reminded me that data entry – labeling the inputs, e.g. – can be done quickly on an iPad as well. Another very helpful tip.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of rox-ale
    rox-ale
    Participant

Thanks to all of the suggestions.
    I realized that not everyone could use it, but some do. So if you could have a screen like the one in the picture, either on the left or on the right, where you can see only the parameters and no graphic representation of the eq would be welcome. Always keeping all screens present now of course

Thanks Alessio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.