SQ Editor?!?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ Editor?!?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of marQs
    marQs
    Participant

Hey guys, been working a lot on GLD and dLive. Got a gig coming on an SQ5 and can’t believe I don’t find an offline editor for the SQ range. Does it exist?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the SQ MixPad app is cross platform and has an offline mode
    it provides most of the functionality needed

SQ Software

Profile photo of marQs
    marQs
    Participant

Ah, thanks! Been to the site before but just… didn’t see it. I’m all ears 😉

Profile photo of Jephsound
    Jephsound
    Participant

The IPad app as an offline editor has a lot to be desired compared to offline editors of desks in this same price range.
    I’m still hoping a Win/Mac version in the works.

Profile photo of marQs
    marQs
    Participant

Well, the SQ-job is done. Created a scene with the SQ Mix Pad on Windows but couldn’t make the SQ see my USB stick. Even after formatting a stick with the SQ it didn’t work, neither did the SQ handle my router – no remote access on the iPad.

Ok, the unit was brand new. I’m sure if I had some time to spend with it beforehand everything had been easy but having an amount of experience with A&H digital desks I felt like it behaved unnecessarly touchy. Indeed my feeling is that products from the big cheap B. are less picky with such simple things like USB drives and networking.

SteffenR
    Participant

so what you did with the network, that it didn’t work?

Profile photo of marQs
    marQs
    Participant

I connected my router, a TP link model that works well with GLD, dLive and Behringer mixers. Set the SQ to DHCP, connected the router and did reboot.

Possibly there was a mismatch of firmware and the app on my iPad. Had no time to check this out. The app just offered ‘offline’ and didn’t see the SQ.

SteffenR
    Participant

The app just offered ‘offline’ and didn’t see the SQ.

a mismatch with the firmware should result in a “Firmware mismatch warning”

Profile photo of TravisBall
    TravisBall
    Participant

Just purchased an Sq5, is there any way to connect to the offline editor SQ-MixPad with my laptop over USB, or does it HAVE to be over a wireless connection?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@travisball

The SQ’s built-in USB Audio/MIDI interface does not carry any of the control messaging for the mixer used by MixPad, so you do need to use the network connection.

However, this does not need to be a wireless connection, it’s only that the SQ and the device running MixPad need to be on the same network.
    They can be hardwired through a switch or router, and as of SQ V1.5, the desk will auto assign itself an IP address if set to DHCP and not connected to a DHCP host.
    Practically speaking, this means you can use a single network cable to connect directly between a computer and the SQ for control.
    Note that you may need to manually input the SQ’s IP address into MixPad, if so it can be found in the ‘Setup > Network Setup’ screen – an auto assigned address has a ‘(*)’ after it.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of TravisBall
    TravisBall
    Participant

Thanks Keith! (How did you tag my username in your reply?)

So to be clear, if I connect a cat5 cable directly between my macbook pro and the network port on the Sq5 that should allow control? My MBP doesn’t have an ethernet port so I would need an adaptor, but that should still work correct?

Is their any possibility of being able to connect to the console over USB with a more robust offline editor at a future date?

Also, I am about to really put this console to work with the 10 person party band I mix for. Its an upgrade for us in terms of I/O and several other things, but in the little bit I have had with it getting set up I have noticed some areas that could be more streamlined in functionality and workflow, where is the best place to leave actual feedback regarding this particular desk?

I’ve got the Sq5 as mentioned and two AB168s! Will be mixing almost exclusively from an iPad.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@travisball – (just add the ‘@’ 😉 )

So to be clear, if I connect a cat5 cable directly between my macbook pro and the network port on the Sq5 that should allow control? My MBP doesn’t have an ethernet port so I would need an adaptor, but that should still work correct?

Correct!

Is their any possibility of being able to connect to the console over USB with a more robust offline editor at a future date?

Probably not, the USB bandwidth is mostly used for the Audio and with things like metering data and the possibilities for multiple connections on the control side of things, it’s a good idea to keep it all separate. Regarding a ‘more robust offline editor’ however – we’ve added more functionality (including the offline mode actually!) to the MixPad app with every major firmware release and will continue to do so.

Also, I am about to really put this console to work with the 10 person party band I mix for. Its an upgrade for us in terms of I/O and several other things, but in the little bit I have had with it getting set up I have noticed some areas that could be more streamlined in functionality and workflow, where is the best place to leave actual feedback regarding this particular desk?

The best place is just over here…. https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/forum/sq/sq-feature-suggestions – if you have problems or questions you can contact us using https://support.allen-heath.com, but for any suggestions, the digital community is best as it gives everyone a chance to discuss things or upvote and is where we look to for user input when discussing potential future updates.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.