SQ & DX168 cascade clock problem

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ & DX168 cascade clock problem

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RichardS
    RichardS
    Participant

I have an SQ-6 connected to two DX168 stage boxes in cascade.

The second DX168 has some microphones and monitor wedges plugged in (the first box having the drums and backline).

Sometimes when everything is powered up I get into a situation where speaking into a microphone sounds “clicky” in the wedge, like there’s a clock sync problem.

I’m not sure if this relates to the order that everything is switched on – is there a recommended power-on sequence, like starting at the desk and working out perhaps, or maybe the exact opposite? Is this supposed to matter, or should I be able to power up the three items in any order?

Once the problem occurs, I think it can be cleared by disconnecting the SLink cable feeding the first stage box DX-A input (from the console), then reconnecting.

Thanks,
    Richard

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What are the cable lengths and what type of CAT cable.

RichardS
    Participant

From the mixer we have 3m of Canford screened Cat5e into a 50m Studiospares Pro CAT5e drum (also screened)

Between the two stage boxes we have a 5m Canford screened Cat5e.

Everything works fine once I get into a working state in the first place, either by powering up in a good sequence, or by unplugging the drum from the first stage box and plugging it back in again.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Make sure both DX are updated to the last firmware
    to ensure this, connect each directly to the console,
    the console updates the firmware automatically

and of course, keep your consoles firmware up to date

RichardS
    Participant

The second stage box has only ever been in cascade so far, never directly connected, so that could be it. I didn’t realise the automatic firmware update only worked for a directly connected unit. I’ll give that a try tomorrow, thanks.

Is there any way of telling when the firmware update is in progress?
    Do I need to leave it connected for a length of time, or is the update pretty much instant?

Also, is there any way of checking what DX firmware version is currently installed? I know the SQ firmware version is on the Diagnostics screen, but don’t remember seeing equivalent info for the connected stage boxes.

RichardS
    Participant

It turns out that my problem was caused by the 50m Studiospares cable reel. Replaced it today with another S/FTP cable and the clicking no longer occurs.

With the dodgy cable reel, I could reliably obtain clean audio by powering on in a strict sequence of SQ -> direct DX -> cascaded DX. Any other power sequence passed audio but with the clocking problem.

I guess maybe there’s a faulty pair in the cable, and it’s screwing up the initial negotiation on the link. I’ll see if I can get the cable tested for interest.

Thanks Mike C and SteffenR for your help.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Good to hear it was a simple fix.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.