SQ drive will not accept firmware update file

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ drive will not accept firmware update file

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tobi Tobi 1 year ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Even a new usb3 8 gig flash drive that has been properly formatted and shows the appropriate file description when checked, will not appear on the firmware screen? I tried 4 different drives and even bought some new ones and transferred the upgrade with both an old mac book pro and a new windows 11 video editing desk top computer: all failed to appear on the SQ usb screen for firmware update.
    I have two Glyph external HDs ,however I will not remove important recordings in order to format for a firmware update!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

One thought:

You did remember to un-zip the file downloaded, and copied the
    “SQ-xUPG******.bin” file to the root of the USB drive ?
    (not in any of the Directories on the drive)

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

That was the problem: I find it strange that A&H would not clarify the necessity of disaggregating the ZIP compressed data before transferring the new firmware to the SQ.
    Hugh

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

They do, in the firmware reference guide under “updating firmware” 🤔

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Crisis averted!

D.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Must admit I am just too used to always have to unpack a zip file, so for me it is second nature 😉

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The current 1.5.8 SQ5 update is the first I felt that I needed over the 1.5.6 firmware that was installed when I bought the desk 4 years ago. My Digigrid/Waves system, Studio one Daw and even my Davinci Resolve studio video editor have not required manually disaggregating their firmware upgrades. My complaint is centered around the fact that the detailed info provided for the formatting process is not also readily available for the necessary zip file unpacking? I would have read the reference guide info if It was a highlighted option directed by the preliminary firmware instructions.
    Hugh

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Side question, do you need the specific hardware compatibility changes found in 1.5.8? Some of us have seen very intermittently dead touchscreens, resolved by rebooting. A&H has confirmed that a bug exists someplace. Rolling back to 1.5.4 has been put forth on the forum as a temporary solution. It’s difficult to confirm a fix for a thing that happens once in a great while now not happening at all, but so far, so good.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

When I go to the firmware download page, there is red text which says “Please read the release notes, and the SQ firmware update instructions before installing.”

“SQ firmware update instructions” is very red… there you find the information, which files to place where…

BTW it is very inadequate to compare PC-Software-Upgrades to a Firmware upgrade… unless your Mixer is connected to Steam 🙂

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

When the subject red info is pressed the following is the sun total of procedural advice.

“copy the firmware to the root of the USB drive- do not place it in any of the folders”

Un packing the compressed zip file that the firmware is delivered in is not mentioned! The assumption that the mention of “Folders” is sufficient is a long way from the type of accurate informative instruction this process deserves.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Please read… The document states the name of the file to be copied… Something.BIN — Not something.ZIP…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.