SQ Drive does not record correctly

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ Drive does not record correctly

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tourtelot tourtelot 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GregTheGrate
    GregTheGrate
    Participant

I recorded a concert yesterday on my SQ5 with Dante. I recorded on two computers at 96k through a switch as well as running the SQ Drive in multitrack mode. The SQ recording is riddled with digital clicks. Izotope declick removed more that 30,000 of them in it’s basic mode for a 90 minute recording.

I have a Samsung T5 SSD drive onto which it was recording, recommended by one of the moderators.

I am of the opinion now, after multiple unsuccessful attempts to record musical performances on the SQ drive, that it actually doesn’t work. As I bought the desk specifically to allow me to do a backup recording on the SQ drive, I find now that it is unfit for purpose.

Is this something that is fixable in software, or is there a fundamental issue with the SQ drive?

I would like a moderator to respond.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

For support related questions, please go to support.allen-heath.com to start a ticket or email support@allen-heath.com with this information. We can then look into this case further with you to determine what the cause is.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

I’m having similar issues as well.

Outrageously fast SSD (Samsung T5 500GB) and every recording has clicks and strange digital ailiasing every few moments.

SQ shows zero errors, but the recordings are botched every time.

Profile photo of monki
    monki
    Participant

What firmware you are using? I had similar problems in 1.3 but after downgrading to 1.2, sq drive recording has worked fine. I did reformat the drive under 1.2 fwiw

GregTheGrate
    Participant

I am using 1.3. Not inclined to go back to 1.2 as it may compromise the Dante performance

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

….I would like a moderator to respond….
    I fully agree

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“every recording has clicks and strange digital ailiasing every few moments.”

Me too. Tried 4 different drives now.

GregTheGrate
    Participant

Have been informed by A&H support that it is a known problem and they are working on a solution for next firmware release. Can’t come soon enough

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Issues this large should be worked on immediately and released as a x.x.1 type format.

This shouldn’t be pushed into the next firmware, they should be put right into the front of development and released as a “patch” on the current firmware. For example V1.3.0 should be V1.3.1 or V1.3.0a (only for users experiencing SQ Drive issues, no other changes have been made).

Fixing bugs that are creating a serious issue with one of the selling points and special features of this console (direct to USB recording) should be an immediate patch once it’s confirmed a bug.

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

(And again….) I fully agree, ianhind

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@ianhind ,

This is exactly how we work! – There are major (feature) releases and maintenance/update releases.
    The developers are currently working very hard on V1.3.1, which will be released as soon as it’s been thoroughly tested.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Thank you for the update @keith

In the future once a bug has been confirmed, an A&H spokesperson should mention its reproducible and currently being patched so we aren’t all in limbo and wondering what’s going on.

This is the first time I’ve seen or heard this bug being acknowledged by A&H and this has been a major issue since V1.3.0

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

I gave the SQ drive another chance this weekend and recorded three sets with no problem. It was a non-critical gig and only required 16 channels, otherwise I would have used a laptop via the USB-B connector on the rear.

The drive I used was a Seagate 1TB Backup Plus Slim model.

It’s certainly convenient to just carry a small USB drive, but the limitation of recording only 16 tracks rules out many shows.

Profile photo of Sebastian
    Sebastian
    Participant

So on version 1.2 recording on USB is no problem?

GregTheGrate
    Participant

@bob I also tried SQ Drive last weekend on 1.3, same rubbish as above

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.