SQ / Dante Question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ / Dante Question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

I’ve tried to find the answer to this in the forums, with no luck. I would appreciate any help offered on this holiday eve/day.

I’ve just successfully updated my SQ-5 Dante card (v1) to Product Version 1.0.5, Firmware Version 4.0.10.3.
    My new DT168 has a Product Version of 1.0.4, Firmware Version 4.0.9.2, and I understand that it should be using the same firmware as the desk.
    The instruction sheet Firmware Update Instructions says to navigate to the DT168 product page and find the current firmware on the Software tab. But there is no tab.

I was about to use the same firmware update I used on the SQ for the DT Expander, but I thought I’d check to make sure I wasn’t going to regret it. Is there an update for the DT Expander, and if so, where is it located?

Thanks very much and Merry Christmas.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

There is no where in the manual writen dat the dt168 should have the same firmware as the desk. If the dante patch and desk patch correct is made this combi should work.

The sq dante card v1 should indeed have v1.0.5 to work correctly.

Richard

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

I wish I could answer more definitively but I have updated my SQ6 to the latest firmware and my DT168 still works as it should with no update. I imagine that there might, someday, be an update to the DT168 from Audinate through A&H but I am assuming (and we know what that means) that A&H will provide that update and instructions for updating the DT168. Right A&H?

D.

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

There is no where in the manual writen dat the dt168 should have the same firmware as the desk.

Hi Richard, Thanks for your response here. You’re right that A&H don’t say specifically in the manual that all the devices must be running the same firmware version. But they do say this, in the Firmware Update Instructions: “For the correct operation of Dante expanders within an SQ system, including preamp control and use of multiple expanders, all devices in the system should be running the latest firmware.”

So if the instructions say to look on the DT168 product page’s Software Tab for the latest firmware, then there should BE a Software Tab on the DT168 page. And it should say what the latest firmware version is. And, if there’s an update, it should be found there. So it kind of leaves you hanging, not knowing if you have the latest firmware and not knowing where else to look. Perhaps A&H can remedy this?

I’ve been studying the Dante materials on the Audinate website, and I thought I’d learned that all devices on the LAN must be running the latest (or same??) version of the firmware, and I’ll get back to you if/when I find it.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
    Ira

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

actually firmware updates on the Dante side are handled through the Dante Controller Dante Updater.
    Connected to a Dante network and to the internet it lists all available updates for connected devices.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Dante Controller Updater will only function correctly if the OEM has signed on with Audinate, I do not believe that A&H has done that.

Dante updates, if available and downloaded, can be installed using the Dante Updater app. Some companies will automatically install a Dante update with a device update, some not. I have a few pretty old Dante versions on some devices, no real response from the manufacturers, but I have nothing in my fairly large network that doesn’t work without a hitch. I wish that there was a bit more continuity for updates. I have spent a lot of time and emails to OEMs looking for information on Dante updates. Couple this with OEMs offering separate updates for their specific devices and it creates a lot of work for those looking to keep the Dante network up-to-date. I try and keep up with technical updates as much as possible, but it takes some hard work. I’d be really happy if Dante Controller Dante Updater had every manufacturers’ permission to allow one-stop-shopping updates. Likelihood? Zero I think.

On a bit of a side note, I alway put a little P-touch label on each device with the installed version number which helps me keep track.

D.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

The current a&h dante products can direct be updated thru the update function of the dante controller. I had it with the new dante 64 card of the dlive.

The fact that there is no software tab at the dt168 is that the initial firmware is the current so there is new firmware to download.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

Unlike computers, phones, mixing consoles etc… Dante devices do not tend to get a huge number of updates and often the changes are only very small. So you do not need to update if your Dante system is working without issue, though of course we recommend it because there can be bug fixes and it should also ensure present and potential future devices all play nice together.
    For A&H products at least, it is only down to the number of firmware updates the unit has had as to what the current version number is, so there is no need to try and match these numbers between, say, an option card and an expander.

There are a few methods for updating different Dante devices but there can also be updates for not only the Dante module itself, but the hardware it is mounted in or connected to.
    In an SQ/Dante system update methods include standard (via SQ-Drive) console updates, use of Dante Update Manager for module updates (option cards) as well as a DT firmware updater (for the control messaging). All are detailed in the update document linked to in the OP.
    As I type however, the DT firmware updater is temporarily offline, so if you are having issues with preamp control and an older unit (new units always ship with the latest firmware), please contact us using https://support.allen-heath.com and we’ll be able to help.

Dante Controller Updater will only function correctly if the OEM has signed on with Audinate, I do not believe that A&H has done that.

Similar, but it’s not about signing on (and we have a close relationship with Audinate anyway), it’s about needing to submit the updates for test and inclusion.
    Moving forward, Dante module updates (i.e. the Dante part of a Dante device, rather than the whole device) will be included in the updater that is now a part of Dante Controller, and this will make life a lot easier! Unfortunately, this new updater was being added in at around the same time as some of our Dante updates were being released and as this meant we couldn’t get those particular versions included – we had to provide them using the ‘old school’ method instead.

It’s things like this which remind me how handy the auto-update feature of all our proprietary protocol expanders/controllers is!

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.