SQ & CDM32 C-class

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ & CDM32 C-class

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Is it possible to connect a SQ directly to the gigaACE port of an CDM32 C-class dlive system?
    In the document of possible slink connections, is the gigaACE option card mentioned.
    Do I need this card?

I want to use the Inputs of the CDM32 on my sq. Also the Headamp Gain control.

Thanks,
    dd

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi dd,

The CDM (or DM) in a dLive system is the mixer. So by connecting an SQ to your CDM32, you are actually connecting two different systems.
    The built-in gigaACE port in a CDM rack is only for connection to a dLive surface, and carries many more channels than a card, as well as all control messages to/from the surface.
    So you do require a gigaACE option card to connect the two as shown in the SLink connections document (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_5_0.pdf).
    You will then be able to send up to 128 channels between the two mixers in either direction, but this is an audio-only connection.
    Whilst dLive and SQ both run the same processing algorithms, and both have an XCVI core and some similar workflow, they are very different when it comes to the control side of things. Therefore, there is no shared messaging between the two platforms and no way to control the preamps in a dLive system from a connected SQ.

Hope this explains it!
    Keith.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

OK – so the built in gigaACE port is ONLY for the dlive surface.

Thanks for the fast answer!
    Have a nice day!
    dd

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

22fuzzi,

While Keith gives us the official A&H answer I have successfully connected a SQ and dLive and they do see eachother’s clock.

I have tested audio routing as well. And it works quite well. There is a caveat with skipping some input sockets on the dLive but it works.

There’s a post I made in the FB dLive group with details.

I don’t know how stable it is or if it will persist through different firmwares and I haven’t used it in a live situation; but it did work.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

The reason this is not supported or recommended is due to the amount of extra information being sent by the main gigaACE connection from the dLive mixrack.
    The SLink port is not designed for this, so although you will see clock signal and audio, it’s all the other information that’s a concern.

Of course we can’t stop you from doing this, but you will almost certainly experience drop-outs, and there are potential issues with the control side of things too.
    The SLink port receives messages from expanders and if messages from the dLive system get through to the SQ it may cause freezing, loss of control, incorrect values displayed etc.

I will say that it shouldn’t cause any physical damage though, or create any problems that wouldn’t be fixed by a restart.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

thx for the information!
    greetings!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.