SQ and T2 chip MAC issues?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ and T2 chip MAC issues?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterlanders peterlanders 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of iff23
    iff23
    Participant

hello_
    any known issue, problems or incompatibilty between SQs and the newer MACs (second half of 2018 onwards) mounting the infamous T2 chip?
    which is the last verified and fully compatible OS?
    thanks

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the SQ is a mixing desk, it needs no Mac to work

so you have to tell us what your intention is…
    remote control, recording, coffee making…

Profile photo of iff23
    iff23
    Participant

hi Steffen_
    well, I’m concerned about possible problems using the control surface layer with Logic (and very soon Reaper as well) and recording straight to Logic _ my 2016 MacBook Pro (with which I’ve been working quite seamlessy with a SQ6 for some time) is dead and I’ll have to go for a new computer in a few weeks… _ several people working with newer, T2 equipped, Macs are having glitch and clicks problems with USB soundcards, due to the interference of the chip with the USB ports _ I’d like to be sure I don’t get stuck in a middle of a session (in that case coffee making would be a welcome extra…)

SteffenR
    Participant

sorry didn’t get the point,
    what is T2?

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

I don’t have a T2-based Mac, but a quick search online indicates (via RME’s forum) that the compatibility issue was apparently fixed with macOS 10.14.4 back in March. It’s currently on 10.14.6, so I’d say you’re probably safe.

Had to look up what 10.14.4 covered, but I see that it was indeed included among the claimed bug fixes: Release notes at OS X Daily

Profile photo of iff23
    iff23
    Participant

@steffen _ a new chip that works in the area of security and time keeping, mounted on all the pro line new macs _ it’s known for causing problems with USB soundcards (as far as I could see in first person audio and not midi protocol)

@peterlands _ thank you very much _ I’ve run through all the available literature but what I’m seeking for is some real world experience… you never know… _ a few of my colleagues still have occasional problems, at least with MOTU interfaces… _ I’d really like to be sure I’m not buying a fully fledged (= €€€) new mac for nothing…

SteffenR
    Participant

buy a PC instead… 😉

Profile photo of iff23
    iff23
    Participant

well Steffen, thinking about that since a while, in fact 🙃

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

@iff23 as someone with a MOTU interface too, I’m not sure I’d use that one as much of a comparison, they haven’t updated the drivers in several years for my box. It works via USB, but the mixer and config apps both give a 32-bit warning these days so are a month away from being obsolete, unless they get their act together.

I don’t have the T2 experience you’re quite reasonably looking for, all I can say is that since the SQ is a class-compliant audio interface on a Mac (supported directly by Core Audio, no drivers required) I’d feel a lot less worried about it than I would any interface that requires custom drivers.

Know anybody with a 2018 MacBook Pro and a fully updated system? With no drivers needed, it should be pretty easy to do some testing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.