SQ-6 for recording studio

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ-6 for recording studio

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gsbe gsbe 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gsbe
    gsbe
    Participant

I have a client that purchased an SQ-6 to serve as the main audio interface for his recording studio. He would like to be able to send multiple headphone mixes to his tracking room from his DAW.

How can he set up the SQ-6 to have multiple channels of audio from the USB connection (the DAW on his computer) split out to multiple outputs of the SQ-6?

He has a headphone distro amp so that won’t be the problem, it is configuring the channels to receive the audio via USB and routing to unique outputs that he is having trouble with.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Profile photo of JTRJAMMER
    JTRJAMMER
    Participant

The SQ will send audio via USB-B port to the DAW on the computer.
    To send audio to the tracking room you can set up groups, auxes, or matrix mixes on the SQ and
    send those out via SQ outputs to the headphone amp or where ever
    you want. This would be best for record monitoring. You could also get a second SQ link card and send to ME’s for each
    listener in the tracking room and they can adjust their own mix. During playback you can also set the USB in from the
    DAW and mix and send that to the tracking room as well for a playback listen. Not sure, but I don’t think you can
    USB record on the SQ at the same time you USB playback from the DAW.

If your looking to send audio from the DAW to the tracking room you can change scenes from record
    to playback and route everything back through the SQ for playback listen or you can send the DAW
    tracks out a separate computer interface, but I wouldn’t recommend this for record monitoring as I think you
    would experience notable delay going from SQ to DAW then DAW to D/A computer interface to listener.

Profile photo of gsbe
    gsbe
    Participant

Thanks for your response, JTRJAMMER. I believe the first setup you describe is monitoring the preamp inputs on the board, correct? Monitoring there at the source rather than through the DAW.

The second that you describe seems more real-world for recording, something like adding overdubs to a pre-recorded track. At least some of that monitoring should include the DAW sending over USB. For ease or use, it would be ideal to monitor the inputs through the DAW but then latency may become a factor per your post:

“I wouldn’t recommend this for record monitoring as I think you would experience notable delay going from SQ to DAW then DAW to D/A computer interface to listener.”

How would you setup an overdubbing situation with the SQ-6? Would you recommend using a different audio interface?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If you plan on doing overdub punchins to existing tracks then you pretty much have to look through the DAW just like we’ve been doing for decades with conventional recording. DAW recording has complicated this. I’ve built several rooms. We’ve made it work with higher end recorders like Pro Tools and RADAR. I haven’t worked with other DAWs. Native systems can be setup to have minimal latency with proper buffer settings. I haven’t tried others to see how bad or good they work.

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Yes, monitoring at the source rather than from the DAW.

This is where you have some limitations using something like an SQ for your studio. It’s not designed to run split ops like an SSL or other studio consoles. I’ve always considered the SQ recording capability aimed at recording multi-track live performances. I’ve recorded a couple of live shows with the SQ using Logic and Digital Performer, then do post-production mixing ITB using the DAW and a UA Arrow. Works great. For overdubs, like GCumbee says you have to work through the DAW. So you could use a separate interface for overdubs. If doing that introduces different audio characteristics between the original and the overdub you could send playback mix through computer interface and record from an SQ USB channel. Any timing issues with the overdub could be adjusted in the DAW.

One thing I’m not sure about is if you add the Dante Card whether or not that gives you simultaneous record/playback, perhaps someone who uses that expansion card can answer. If it does, that would be really something worth adding if you are using the SQ in a studio. I think you would be limited to 24 X 24 split ops play/record, as the SQ is limited to 48 inputs.

Profile photo of dcarmich
    dcarmich
    Participant

Interesting you mention that. I’ve been interested in the SQ since it launched as a console for my electronic music studio in a “hybrid” (live/studio) role.

What do you mean by “split ops?”

The use case I envision is both tracking hardware synths to a DAW and then editing/adding software synth parts on top as well as live streams from said hardware.

(For livestreams, I’d only be sending L-R to the DAW.)

Would I run into any issues there?

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

My apologies to everyone for some misinformation. True that with the SQ-Drive you either have to be in record or playback mode. However, if you are using the SQ USB-B interface
    to your computer you can playback and record simultaneously. For example, patch tracks in the DAW to receive input from USB-B output channels 1…24 assigned to
    strips 1..24 on SQ using USB-B Direct Output 1-24. The inputs for those tracks are local, DX, etc. Set output on the DAW for those 24 channels to 24…48 to USB-B inputs 24…48. So basically
    1-24 of the SQ is sending audio to the DAW, the other half, 25-48 is receiving the playback from the DAW, split ops. For monitoring you can assign any of the 48 channels to another mix. If you want to mix
    tracks already recorded using the SQ then just patch the DAW tracks to inputs on the SQ channel strips and send those direct outs back to different tracks on the DAW. Remember the USB-B interface is 32 x 32,but
    you can only process 48 channels. So any combination that adds up to 48 or less, e.g 24 out/24 in, 32 out/ 16 in, 8 in/8 out etc. You could also send any number of tracks from the DAW to the SQ and then send SQ Main or AUX or Matrix back to the DAW for bouncing, almost unlimited combinations and variations of routing and recording between the 48 processing channel limit and the 32 x 32 USB interface. Hope this makes sense.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I can’t try this at the moment, but surely the Tie Lines can be used to send outputs from a DAW directly to a physical outputs on the desk (or attached hardware), without eating up any of the 48 processing channels?

Profile photo of gsbe
    gsbe
    Participant

Our friend Alex at A&H Tech Support first had this to say:

The DAW can send recorded audio to the SQ by routing it to one of the 32 USB streams. This stream can then be assigned to an input channel on the desk, then sent to an aux.

To avoid latency issues, live sources which require monitoring during the recording should be routed directly to the aux, as running them through the DAW first will add a delay.

I pointed him to this thread and he had this to follow up:

Some interesting replies there! One thing is Mark has a great point. You could send the output of a bus from your DAW to a USB channel, then tie line this channel directly to an output socket, leaving any input channels untouched.

Profile photo of gsbe
    gsbe
    Participant

Mark- that’s exactly what I’m hoping to do. I’d love to be able to create multiple headphone mixes in Pro Tools and then use the “Tie Lines” to send them directly to physical outputs on the desk.

Can anyone point me to a resource that explains how to use these “Tie Lines”? Thanks

surely the Tie Lines can be used to send outputs from a DAW directly to a physical outputs on the desk (or attached hardware)

Profile photo of gsbe
    gsbe
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.