SQ-6 can't acquire IP address from router – network port broken?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ-6 can't acquire IP address from router – network port broken?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GoodFollow GoodFollow 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AndreyMaslov
    AndreyMaslov
    Participant

SQ-6 just arrived. Going thru various tests, everything works fine except network port – forether stuck in Acquiring step in DCHP mode
    With DHCP off, SQ pad doesn’t see the unit.
    Router Lynksys WRT54G – using it with QU-24 and XR-18 without any problem
    FW – 1.3.2.
    Link led is on and steady
    Rebooted router and unit many times, swapped cable, of course.
    Laptop logins to router just fine.
    I do hope it’s some simple thing I miss, can’t believe port on new unit is not working
    I saw people complained about connection stability in 1.3.0, hope it’s been fixed

Profile photo of csumi
    csumi
    Participant

Hi Andrey,

Choose other router (NEW)
    Linksys WRT54G is very old.

Csumi

AndreyMaslov
    Participant

I was hoping for that – nice try :(.
    Just did more or less recent Netgear, no luck. When connected unit is not displayed in router wired connection list.
    And , BTW, router is router – if device can’t be seen by router by wire and can’t acquire ip – something is broken, no matter how old router is.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

to make things clear
    you are using DHCP and it is switched on in the console and after that you reastartet the desk?

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Some obvious questions:

1) Your laptop is set for DHCP and acquiring an address, vs static?

2) You are plugging into the network port, not the SLink port?

3) You are looking for the IP address on the status page, not the network page. When the network page shows “DHCP” it never updates for an acquired address, that is always on the status page. (bit me the first time)

4) The DHCP advertisement is “consistent” – the IP/Netmask/Gateway all agree? I don’t know if the SQ validates it, but I could see it rejecting something that is inconsistent. You wouldn’t see this unless you tried to do WAN routing through your router. The XR18 has such a poor network implementation I wouldn’t trust it as a reference point.

5) Set the console to a static address and see if your laptop can ping it.

AndreyMaslov
    Participant

Yes, I don’t need DHCP, but DCHP allows me to check connection quickly without using tablet
    And, BTW, unit never shows up in router wired connection list

AndreyMaslov
    Participant

Jay,
    1) Your laptop is set for DHCP and acquiring an address, vs static?
    Yes

2) You are plugging into the network port, not the SLink port?
    Yes, SLink is taken with AB2412 🙂

3) You are looking for the IP address on the status page, not the network page. When the network page shows “DHCP” it never updates for an acquired address, that is always on the status page. (bit me the first time)
    Yes, I’m checking this Diagnostics page with all unit’s states

4) The DHCP advertisement is “consistent” – the IP/Netmask/Gateway all agree? I don’t know if the SQ validates it, but I could see it rejecting something that is inconsistent. You wouldn’t see this unless you tried to do WAN routing through your router. The XR18 has such a poor network implementation I wouldn’t trust it as a reference point.
    Yes, I didn’t really touched the defaults, it’s on 192.168.1.1 subnet

5) Set the console to a static address and see if your laptop can ping it.
    That’s a good test, shame on I didn’t do it, thanks

AndreyMaslov
    Participant

Thanks to all of you for good ideas, I just called Sweetwater tech support and they sending a replacement unit.
    I still suspect there is something logically wrong with old unit – just can’t imagine A&H QA team let it pass with such a malfunction, but if new unit works fine I can forget it.
    Thank you, folks

AndreyMaslov
    Participant

Update : received new unit today – works as should. Seems like A&H quality control needs some improvements.
    Thanks to all.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

wow
    but it can happen
    have fun with the new one 🙂

Profile photo of GoodFollow
    GoodFollow
    Participant

This might come out from your router and you will have to check it if you want to find this out, or this might be because you are using a VPN. To be honest, I heard about this issue a lot of times and in the most of the cases this was caused by the VPN people used. This is a very interesting question if the VPN worth or not, and should you use it or not. I’ve read a great article last night about strong and weak point of the VPN and this is really interesting. By the way, you can find this article here https://www.router-reset.com/are-vpns-worth-money-or-waste and you will understand if you need to use your VPN or not. I think I will use, but you can have your own opinion, and both of us will have its own argument

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.