SQ-5 Clocking issues

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ-5 Clocking issues

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob-Spence Rob-Spence 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ARSound
    ARSound
    Participant

Hello, I have an SQ-5 with firmware 1.2.0 r2258. I use an G Drive mobile SSD 500gb hard drive for recording with the SQ Drive. I am having some issues when I am tracking even just a stereo mix of the board. Every once in a while the take sounds like it is not clocking correctly with lots of digital noise and cracks and pops and super filtered. I start a new take and it works perfectly fine. There is no way that I have found to monitor what I am recording to the hard drive so I don’t know that this has happened until I get back to my studio for post. Also, when I do have a clean take, the later into recording I get, I start to have digital pops also leading me to believe in unstable clocking. Has anyone else had issues?
    Fortunately after the first time this got me I have set up my zoom recorder to capture a two mix from a matrixed stereo output. So this has saved me for the bad takes but would love to have a better solution.
    Thanks!
    ~Alex

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

nothing to do with clocking… drive is not the right choice for the SQ drive…
    let me guess USB3?

Profile photo of ARSound
    ARSound
    Participant

Yes, USB3.

I see a QU drive compatibility chart with hard drives people have tested. Is there one started for SQ drive?

And why would a brand new digital console not have USB3 compatibility. I’m finding it hard tracking down a USB 2.0 drive that I would trust to record with. Any suggestions?

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

It is indeed hard to understand why a mixing desk brought to market at the end of 2017 has problems with USB3 drives, which have been around since 2011 and have replaced USB2.0 especially when it comes to external harddrives and SSDs.

SteffenR
    Participant

because there are many different chipsets and these chipsets implement the USB specs different…
    in the USB2 world it’s easy to find common sense in USB 3 not…

just have a look at the USB-C desaster…

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

There is no incompatibility in USB3, only slight differences in performance, which are meaningless with the needed transfer rates for SQ-Drive. USB-C with all the non-USB additions is so,ething completely different.

Also, I’m not talking about integrating USB3 in the mixers, but to make sure that the used chipset can use USB3 drives (which are stamdard now) without problems. And this IS a chipset or software issue, as every PC with USB2.0 ports has no problems using USB3.0 drives (not at full speed of course). You can get USB2.0 drives nowadays of course, but what about in two three years? You really want to rely on buying used USB cases if there aren’t new ones for sale anymore? A new product should at least be COMPATIBLE with current hardware.

SteffenR
    Participant

that’s not reality… sorry

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

Actual hard drives can drop bits if used in real time such as recording. Why? If the buffer is full and the arm with head must move, there is no way to stop the data flow and you get a dropout which sounds like a clocking issue.

Solid state drives or flash memory sticks will work if they are fast enough for writing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.