Splitting signals with Y cables for monitoring

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Splitting signals with Y cables for monitoring

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Hello any happy new year to all!

I want to “split” my Qu16 half for FOH and half for monitors. For example channels 1-8 to FOH and 9-16 for monitors with different eq,comp etc.
    Can i split those signals coming from DI’s with Y cables?
    Workflow examples:

1) Dynamic mic -> XLR cable -> Y cable before mixer -> splitting to ch 1 & 9
    2) Guitar with active DI -> XLR cable -> Y cable before mixer -> splitting to ch 2 & 10

The DI’s are phantom powered so i will engage phantom on both channels? (example ch 1 & 9)
    Is this method of splitting appropriate or i will have signal loss, and downgrade the quality of my signals?

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I do a similar thing when I go out on PA hire duties with a colleague of mine, he uses an Behringer X32 for FOH and I use my QU-SB for side of stage monitoring duties. To enable us to achieve this we use two Behringer MS8000 8 way mic splitters that we have rack mounted.

Multi-core (stage box) into the splitters, one feed goes to the X32 and the other to the QU-SB, but I think from memory when dealing with phantom power, only the FOH needs to be activated for the said channels, not both desks. We split in the traditional way, the FOH takes the direct line and applies phantom power and the monitor desk takes the other line that is via transformer.

The below YouTube clip from Behringer actually does the above in reverse, but either way works (Pre or Post transformer).

It leaves FOH to concentrate on FOH and the same for side of stage, also, you’re not sharing the gain stage. in that I mean, if for argument’s sake you’re performing FOH and monitors from the same desk, whether that be the QU-16, 24 or 32, you are limited with the amount of gain you have to use at stage side if the FOH desk’s channel gains (trims) are set very conservatively.

For a couple of reasons this is what prompted me to look into doing our PA jobs differently with better results, although with the X32 you can split the gain stages, but I never really got on with the X32 app, found it very clunky and slow to navigate from one mix to the other. The QU app is far more slicker and faster.

On the pictures below you can see the two MS8000 splitters and the QU-SB.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Thank you Lee7 for your reply!

I want to avoid active/passive mic splitters as it’s extra gear with extra cost, cables etc.
    Surely your solution is much better than Y cables, but i want a simpler setup.
    I use one mixer (qu16) both as FOH and monitor as i don’t need more channels. I just unassign “monitor” channels from FOH (LR) and that’s it. (i’m using wired IEM’s)
    I don’t like either X32 app is very frustrating.
    The only thing i wish from “Santa Clause” 🙂 is the feature to link mono channels to stereo but A&H probably stops the updates to QU family.

Regards

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

DMarin…

You can link adjacent channels, but I think you’re talking about Mixes. If so, you can simply use DCA to control two Mixes as one. I think there are enough DCA’s available for the way you’re using your Qu.

As to phantom power, once the device is powered from one channel of the Y-split it will work. It is receiving power. It is not necessary to power it twice.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Dick Rees, sorry my fault i want to link mono out’s to stereo and not channels

Dick Rees
    Participant

So try using a DCA to control two Mixes.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Can you explain how to do this? Thank’s for your help!
    I want to have 5 stereo mixes instead of 3, for wired IEM’s with panning etc.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@dmarin,

I see what you are looking at doing, I assumed you were looking at achieving a similar setup to what I sometimes do when using two different mixers.

🙂

Dick Rees
    Participant

Can you explain how to do this? Thank’s for your help!
    I want to have 5 stereo mixes instead of 3, for wired IEM’s with panning etc.

“Panning” would be accomplished by the channel level sent to each of the two Mixes controlled by the DCA.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Thanks again Dick Rees but with this way i have no panning or am i wrong?

Dick Rees
    Participant

See answer above…

Panning just changes the relationship of the signal left to right/right to left. You can do this with the channel levels sent to the L-R Mixes.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Thanks a lot! What about Y cables and phantom power in my first post?

Dick Rees
    Participant

Already answered, post #67811 above.

Dick Rees
    Participant

DM…

Here are two more pics to illustrate panning using channel levels. Say you want to use Mix1/Mix2 as your L/R stereo program. Set the L (Mix1) level of the desired channel a bit lower than the R (Mix2) and the result is the sound “panned” to the right. You can easily audition the effect/result using headphones to set up the desired balance. A few tries and it should make sense.

Good luck.

Attachments:
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Above shows R channel (Mix2). Here’s the L channel (Mix1) setting. These are just for reference. You’ll determine the ratio of the levels in the headphones. I tried to attach both pics to one response but something is blocking that.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.