Splitting channels digitally

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Splitting channels digitally

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LKY LKY 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

When working with IEM you always need two channel EQs for a vocalist: one for FOH and for the other band members, one for his own ears to compensate for the occlusion effect.

Being able to split a channel’s input to be used by two channels would solve this without the need of split cables.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Well,

Perhaps I’m not understanding…

But if your FOH will use the eq on the input…

And your output channels will use the eq on the outputs…

Correct…

Or are you looking for another intermediate one…

Like FOH on input…
    Each output has one…

But one in the middle to eq/delay the voice without effecting the rest of the output channel…

If so, you could use an fx channel to do some work…internal fx…
    Or just send loop it via using an output just for the voice and a return…and use either of the processing for the voice…

Ex…
    Voice on channel 8…
    Use Pre eq…route to output x…and p,ug that back into input y…
    Continue using the FOH as normal…
    And use the non eq versions as you did already…

Hop either of them will work…

If your wanting something else or I’m off let me know…there are lots of options…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

LKY I mean really splitting one input into two channels so it can be processed in two different ways. This can be done with a Y-cable but would be more convenient if done digitally.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Ok,

I see there are a few reasons for it….

But, in the mean time…

Assige a prefader output to an output channel, and use a 1′ xlr to just dump it into the next channel…you’ll get all the processing you’d need, and it shouldn’t be any noticeable lag…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes, LKY, I know that’s possible. Then you have to take care about both channels having the same gain…
    You need an extra cable, and you have to set up unity gain between both channels somehow. It would be just easier to be able to split a channel digitally, therefor this feature suggestion.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Yes,

As I said, see a use…and should be on the list…

Just giving options in the mean time for you and others to accomplish this task…albeit not perticularly elegant…it will do the job…without buying special cables either…

It would be awesome to have a list of features with voting…or a poll…

We and ah would get a way better view of who wants/needs what feature the most…

And a list of the proposed features they are looking/working on for the next release…

Nothing written in stone…just a friendly we hear you from ah…

Back on topic…I see a couple times I’ve done just this with other boards…and needed my soldering iron…at least the 80-90’s are done 🙂

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

This is easily done on the GLD. Would be nice to have it on the QU.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Yes,

I’ve only used a gld a few times…but nice console…

I’m actually more of an old school guy…mostly still analog…

Last many tracking sessions all been on the Neve VR48/PT HD…and the studder’s

Mix on SSL 4056G+ with Konecktor

The 32 that’s on the way is actually for my practice room…1000sqft…replacing a Yamaha in there…Also running Protools as well as Audition…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.