Sourcing a matrix channel independent from the processing of the main LR channel

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Sourcing a matrix channel independent from the processing of the main LR channel

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom Metz Tom Metz 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tom Metz
    Tom Metz
    Participant

If I understand the block diagrams correctly, sourcing a matrix channel from the main L R channel is only possible after the process block. I use a matrix channel sourced from the main channel for stereo recordings of rehearsals and gigs. I know there are workarounds but I welcome the possibility to process the main L R channel without affecting a matrix channel sourced from the mains. In short I like to have the choice to source a matrix channel pre of post processing block of the main L R channel. See the diagram.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Tom,

There are a few ways to achieve something similar to this already and they would be considered normal use rather than workarounds.
    One would be to make use of an Post-Fade Aux with all channel sources set ‘post delay’ and record this – this has the added benefit of being able to add in or boost signals you don’t need live in the room but want to record.
    Another would be to use 2 matrices both fed from LR (with all processing switched out) to give two independent mix processing channels which still respect the LR level.
    Or just do it the other way around, recording the LR mix and feeding the PA with a matrix – presuming that you want to record flat and only use mix processing for the room.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Tom Metz
    Participant

Hello Keith,
    Thanks for our suggestions. I think the latter is the easiest way to achieve what I want.
    Cheers,
    Tom

Tom Metz
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    It’s about a year and a half ago I brought up this request. All three solutions you suggested are doable but.
    Using Post Fade Aux is certainly working, but occasionally I need all aux for different purposes (mainly EIM). So that is not a permanent solution for me.
    The second suggestion to use 2 matrices both fed from LR (with all processing switched out) in order to record flat and only use mix processing for the room is fine too. I can source one matrix pre fader for recording (independent of the mainLR level), and the other matrix fed post fader to adjust the level of the PA using the mainLR fader or the matrix fader. My main objection is that I am wasting resources ie. I need an extra matrix. If I have the choice to source a matrix channel pre or post-processing block of the main LR channel that is more straightforward what I want to achieve in my opinion. In short I still like to have the choice to source a matrix channel pre or post processing block of the main L R channel.
    Cheers,
    Tom

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

+1
    to free up resources!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi both,

I’m not sure that’s possible – note that routing is a resource, so what you’re suggesting is more routing resources than the core has, in order to use processing resources for something else.
    I understand it may seem trivial to add in a tap-off point because it’s not doing something as exciting as an EQ or a compressor, but it’s a change to the core architecture that everything else is built upon.
    It has been noted however and will be looked at (and discussed to see if there’s any other possible solutions too).

If you’ve run out of Auxes or Matrices however, to be blunt, I’m afraid you’re reaching the limits of the system…
    It depends what you’re using the processing on the LR or ‘room’ Matrix for, but we do see some people trying to use mixers for speaker/system processing, which is not what they’re intended for.
    Not sure if that’s the case here, but having a dedicated system processor means the mixer is creating a ‘final’ LR mix for recording/live use or distribution (with extra processing) through the matrices.
    The system processor ‘belongs’ to the speakers/room, so you should only need to send it the finished product with minimal, if any, adjustments on the mix to balance up the room.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Tom Metz
    Participant

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your explanation. You have a point using a mixer for speaker/system processing is not a good idea (not I was trying to).
    Cheers Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.