Sonic Quality of DUAL MONO Compared to STEREO Inputs

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Sonic Quality of DUAL MONO Compared to STEREO Inputs

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tpaulding
    tpaulding
    Participant

We have have handful of stereo sources (Mainstage, Nord, Kemper Profilers usually) and have noticed a significant difference between the sound of them when they are dual mono panned left/right as opposed to a stereo input spread wide. We have three DLives and the results are consistent between them so it is definitely not an issue related to a PA or processing.

We can hear more depth and fullness in dual mono. We’ve tested it ‘blind’ with some folks as well. Every aspect of the input processing is identical other than it being an input stereo channel.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this something A&H is aware of? Is it a processing limit that the STEREO setup is running into?

Thoughts?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

This sounds concerning.
    Haven’t experienced nor tested this yet. But will do, as soon as I get hands on my equipment.

Profile photo of Jack_AH
    Jack_AH

Hey Tpaulding,

I’ve had a look a this but can’t find any reason for this to be the case. Taking a dual mono signal panned left and right, and the same signal into a stereo channel with the polarity flipped cancel out exactly on the Main bus.

Could you send a audio sample of each, and the showfile you’re working on via a ticket (https://support.allen-heath.com/) and I’ll have a look at this?

Jack

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@tpaulding

There are multiple ways to do stereo. Coincident, near coincident, time delay, mid side….
    Panning dual monos only has only that method to do it.

What type of stereo do you have from those devices?

Did you expect to hear something different?
    Then it might be more that than technical.
    Or even apophenia.

I would not expect a true stereo channel to sound like a dual mono.
    And depending on the original width (and recording method) versus your playback transducers location
    then I can see why they will be more different.

There is a good website out there (German site?) That lets you put in many parameters to see how the sound field would result from those combinations.

I do not think there is any problem with the AH gear.
    What you hear is normal enough for the situation.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

a stereo channel or two mono channels should lead to the exact same result when the same processing is applied to the same sources (sockets)

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Only if the stereo channel and the two mono channels used the same type of stereo.
    MidSide , time delay, loudness difference, would result in different results depending how you brought them in.
    Granted the difference may not be big but there is a difference. And the golden eared folks would say they hear that difference.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

hmm, I am quite sure that it is a simple Left-Right Stereo and the same as when you use ganging on two mono channels where everything, except the PAN is linked.
    But maybe I am completely wrong and the dLive uses a special algorithm to find some signals on both inputs which have to go left and others which have to go right, or up, down front rear. also some fancy delay and aural effects will take place and all of that is done by an AI-FFT-Neurodetector which also can do some effects like Motownizer, Solo/Speech-finisher and Frontman-remover. Should ne not uncommon nowadays and so maybe it is also true for the dLive. Who knows. 😉

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@SteffenR

Only if the stereo channel and the two mono channels used the same type of stereo.
    MidSide , time delay, loudness difference, would result in different results depending how you brought them in.
    Granted the difference may not be big but there is a difference. And the golden eared folks would say they hear that difference.

this is microphone technique related, and the differences are very obvious

but a simple stereo signal no matter what kind of it’s origin should sound the same
    if I do not alter the stereo image

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.