Something to reduce plosives

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Something to reduce plosives

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GR-PDX GR-PDX 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I know…it’s called better mic technique. I’ll work on it.

I recently got a Heil PR-35 mic, and that sucker sounds better on my voice than almost anything I’ve tried. Really great. But VERY susceptible to plosives. I’ve done some modifications to the way the windscreen works that have helped, but the issue is still there.

I tend to put the HPF on that channel at about 120Hz, and since I’m a tenor it doesn’t seem to lose much.

But what I wish is that there were a multiband compressor available (HINT) or some other way to selectively deal with this issue. Anyone found anything in the Qu that seems to work well?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Get a GLD. MB comp and dynamic EQ :).

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Dangit, George… giving me GAS again!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

🙂

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I use a product called Popper Blocker on my PR35. They really work and they don’t cost much. It’s a fiber screen that goes between the existing screen and the element.

https://sites.google.com/site/popperblocker/

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Thanks for the reference to the Popper Blocker. I may give that a try. I’ve tried fine-mesh stainless and some other things in there…I wonder what the material actually is (“carbon fiber type material”)?

Everything I know about doing this indicates that the steepest reduction in plosives would come from a multi-stage screen, with some significant gap between the stages. Unfortunately, on the PR-35, there is very little room between the front of the main screen and the element.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.