Solved: Sub and Fill Following LR Fader without Matrix

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Solved: Sub and Fill Following LR Fader without Matrix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JeremyH
    JeremyH
    Participant

Hey guys my venue just installed the SQ 7, and while getting my start scene together I ran into a slightly annoying issue. I can’t have my Sub follow my LR fader, like how you can with the Mono Bus on the M32. Obviously first place I go to is the ganging screen, oops you can only gang inputs (seems weird not to have that), and I really really like having my fills and subs on an Aux and not a Matrix.

This is when I realized Mixing Station, blessed be its name, has its own in app ganging feature, that I haven’t tried yet. Oh boy not only does this work, but through some unknown magic I can have my LR ganged to my Sub and Fill busses without the app even running. Haven’t tried but I imagine if I restart the console I’ll probably have to reconnect.

Now for the issues. They are all ganged, if you move the sub, you move the mains, and obviously this is an issue, however you can turn off the gang with the push of 2 button presses on Mixing station, and reactivate it against with another 3 buttons presses, both of which are very quick.

Conclusions. These big corporations losing yet again to independent creators. I implore all of you to contact Allen and Heath to ask for either a dedicated Sub bus that will follow the LR, and or Ganging for busses however what I think will be most more realistic in terms of actual outcome is contacting the Mixing Station guy and asking for him to make a adjust the ganging feature to allow for Asymmetrical ganging (Sub comes down with LR but LR doesn’t come down with sub), and including being able to make a custom button that turns ganging on and off.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

I would love to see ganging of busses. Please intro duce this!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Why not a matrix? It will do exactly that, and more. You can have it track the LR mix, or be completely independent.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

A crossover with a matrix is presently the closest way but we can’t create an independent auxiliary sub channel ganged to the main with a matrix. This means vocals (and everything else) are in the subs.

Profile photo of JeremyH
    JeremyH
    Participant

Not a fan of full range system. I like having the control of my subs from an independent aux send, as well as many other people on tour who guest engineer in my venue. The console works for me, I don’t work for the console.

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

I run subs and fills on AUXs and set them post fader. I have independent control of both, while controlling the overall level of subs, fills and FOH tops with the FOH fader.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What about assigning the main LR and the sub aux master to a DCA?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

A matrix is probably the best solution here.

Can you send individual groups or channels directly to the matrices on the SQ series? I know you can on the Avantis and DLive. This is awesome because you can route the band (without vocals or vocal FX) to the main L/R mix and then on to a set of matrices – Main L/R, Subs, Fill, etc. You can then send the vocals and vocal FX to the Main L/R and Fill matrices, but not the sub matrix. (I would suggest using a vocal group and sending it, but you can send individual channels as well). This effectively gives you a second “band group” as well as allows you to keep the vocals out of the subs without resorting to an aux send. It’s the best of both worlds (subs on aux vs direct) IMHO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.