Soft Key MIDI use

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Soft Key MIDI use

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MaddisonWells MaddisonWells 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of FastBikerBoy
    FastBikerBoy
    Participant

Hi all

New to the QU-24 having just upgraded from a ZED-R16 that has gone to the great gig in the sky. Loving it so far, a lot to get my head around moving from a lifetime of analogue to a digital mixer for the first time.

One thing that I am really missing and doesn’t seem possible as far as I can tell from the manual and the latest MIDI protocol document is the ability to use the soft keys for MIDI control of my DAW. For example the equivalent buttons on my ZED-R16 were assigned to DAW functions that I use most often, such as zeroing peak meters, turning on MIDI sync, turning on click tracks, etc. etc.

On the QU-24 though it seems that the only MIDI use for the soft keys is either MMC or Bank up and Bank down messages. The ability to send 10 different MIDI messages that I can then assign to various DAW commands would be great. In fact I can’t believe that it’s not possible as it seems such an obvious use so perhaps it is and I just need to RTFM again.

If it isn’t possible please consider this a request for a future firmware. If it is please point me to where in the manual it explains how and I’ll go read it again.

Thanks.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Hi,
    the QU is limited in this to only a few commands
    I would recommend a dedicated transport control and macro box for your needs
    something like a stream deck

FastBikerBoy
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I already have an MCU+XT for my main DAW control. It’s just I always found the MIDI buttons on my ZED really handy for several quick functions assignments/resets etc while tracking but it’s no big issue. Just thought it would be an option for improvement if at all possible.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome FastBikerBoy
    Yes the ZED-R16 did have lots of assignable midi controls.
    However the QU range has a lot of other positives going for it!
    Are you using windows or Mac?

FastBikerBoy
    Participant

Hi. I am a Windows user.

Yes I appreciate the QU range is great. It’s a big step up from my old ZED and I’m not knocking it or regretting buying it.

I think it’s because it’s so much better I’m surprised it doesn’t have the ability to send a wider range of MIDI messages from the soft keys.

It’s not the end of the world though. Just an idea for a feature request that would be helpful to me and my workflow.

Profile photo of MaddisonWells
    MaddisonWells
    Participant

Recently purchased a series of QU. It is glued. Compared to the previous analogues, it has many advantages. I now work twice as fast on my project.

Profile photo of MaddisonWells
    MaddisonWells
    Participant

Recently purchased a series of QU. Compared to the previous analogues, it has many advantages. I now work twice as fast on this project.

Very grateful to the developers for their weighty contribution to the application.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.