Soft key control of insert In/Out

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Soft key control of insert In/Out

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jake Jake 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TLinklater
    TLinklater
    Participant

I am using the insert function on the channel strip for multitrack recording over Dante. When troubleshooting a signal flow, it would be great to be able to hit a soft key and make a channel strip enable and disable the insert send/return quickly.

The downside to this is in having uneven latency between inputs going to Master, but this would be a momentary switch to trouble shoot rather than being left on for the entire show or recording.

Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

Well you could Save, then run through the channels and switch all the inserts out, and save an Inserts Out memory, but of course if you subsequently make any mix changes they will be lost if you go back to those in/out memories.
    Many use the Input Library to achieve this which can work independently of other parameters saved, but I totally get when you’re using the inserts.

Sorry. Not much help.

Rob

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

@tlinklater

Are you sure the latency is different? I haven’t tested, but I believe the board is latency compensated throughout.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Turning on insert, even if it’s set to unassigned, adds 24 samples = 250 uS so it’s no longer 100% phase coherent.. but that’s a tiny slice of time that isn’t going to affect your mix at all!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@DaveMeadowcroft

And yet some golden eared stereophile suggested in the forum that the devices be able to tweak delay at almost that resolution.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

That’s the equivalent of about 8.5 cm difference between positioning of instruments in the real acoustic world – absolutely rediculous getting hung up on such finite details!

Profile photo of Steve G
    Steve G
    Participant

I’d really like this feature when outboard plugin servers fail. In case a soundgrid system decides to stop working mid-show, it would be great if I could disable all inserts in one button push so the show can go on uninterrupted.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

absolutely rediculous getting hung up on such finite details

It’s plenty enough to cause phase shift issues if recombined.

Profile photo of KilianB
    KilianB
    Participant

I’d really like this feature when outboard plugin servers fail. In case a soundgrid system decides to stop working mid-show, it would be great if I could disable all inserts in one button push so the show can go on uninterrupted.

+1

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

+1 dLive has a dedicated button for this, and it would be nice to have it as a softkey option on SQ.

Profile photo of soundguybob
    soundguybob
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

+1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.