Soft Control Question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Soft Control Question

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

I should probably know this but would someone please explain the details?

On the soft rotary knobs on my SQ6, under SETUP>SOFT CONTROLS>SOFT ROTARY FADER:

One setup is MAIN LEVEL FADER and then assigned Fx1Rtn
    Second setup is SEND LEVEL FADER and then assigned Fx1Rtn and then assigned MAIN LR.

They both appear to do the same thing, raise the FX 1 Return, except that the rotary is labeled either Fx1Rtn or MaLRSn.

What does one setup do for me that the other one doesn’t?

Thanks.

Doug

tourtelot
    Participant

Nobody?

D.

tourtelot
    Participant

Man, is this such a dumb question that nobody wants to answer it? I am confused that not even the tech moderators have at least said RTFM. Which I have done BTW.

It’s a real question, and I’m a bit piqued by the overwhelming response.

D.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@tourtelot

sometimes there is more than one way to do something
    pick the way you like and stop obsessing about why it happened

look at windoze
    that opsys often has multiple paths to achieve the exact same thing

neither billyg or AH is going to bother to explain the inner workings of their software to explain why that happens

yes the question is real
    but not at all important in the grand scheme of things

the real question is why are you piqued about the underwhelming response you got

tourtelot
    Participant

No, the real question is why you feel like lecturing me and then,
    NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION. Doh!

D.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Doug,

Piqued is a great word, but sorry you feel that way.

Both do the same thing as you say, in the same way as you could use sends on faders or the CH to All Mix key to achieve the same thing.
    One reason they both exist is because of the ‘Current Selection’ and ‘Current Mix’ options for a send level. The ‘Current Mix’ option must include all mixes, including LR, and so LR must also be available as a selectable mix.
    Regarding the labelling, if you have a main level fader, it’s like the ‘master’ level for that channel, so it just shows the name of the channel. The thinking being that if it were being used for background music or announcement mic say, these would probably be set post-fade elsewhere, and you always have that channel labelled and to hand without using a channel strip on each layer.
    When using the send level fader, if you had a fixed mix, but are using ‘Current Selection’ then it’s much more useful to know which mix you were sending to. This is a common setup for sending to FX or monitors.

Hope this limits your ‘piques’ (sorry).

Cheers,
    Keith.

tourtelot
    Participant

Thanks Keith. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

I wasn’t sure, at all, if the settings did, in fact, do the same thing. It’s a deep set of options on the SQ and maybe I was missing an important route to something in one setting that the other didn’t have. They certainly look as if that might be true.

Education is still an important goal.

D.

volounteer
    Participant

@KevinJ A&H

Too bad such info is not in the manuals to help people understand the design and intent.

@tourtelot

I did not mean to lecture you just explain that some questions really are not worth answering or may not have an answer at all.
    And that even if they have an answer that it may not really be important in the grand scheme of things.

tourtelot
    Participant

Thanks for helping me understand what’s important and what’s not.

D.

volounteer
    Participant

@tourtelot

everybody gets to decide for themselves

not everybody gets it right the first time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.