Soft button control of Tube Stage

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Soft button control of Tube Stage

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

As the title suggests, having control of the “off/on” for the Tube Stage by means of a soft button would be nice.

While a vocalist is singing a chorus that had a dirty sound in the album version, I’d love to be able to punch it in/out quickly instead of having to use the touch screen.

Could probably do some smart filtering with a scene and safes, but would be much simpler to just have a hot key.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

The SQ uses tubes ????????

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

“Tube Stage” is an add-on preamp model available on all channels.

volounteer
    Participant

So they take a perfect preamp and distort it as if you used a tube ?????
    What will they think of next ?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So they take a perfect preamp and distort it as if you used a tube ?????
    What will they think of next ?

Tubes do not have to distort in the sense of over drive guitar distortion.

In my analog mixing days my insert processing rack had a Drawmer 1960 stereo tube compressor, it was my main vocal group compressor.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

well I remember measuring tube responses, to draw curves for them, in my first electronics class.
    at least back then our tubes did distort quite a bit.
    you could keep the drive low and use feedback to help limit the distortion, but they had significant distortion.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

well I remember measuring tube responses, to draw curves for them, in my first electronics class.
    at least back then our tubes did distort quite a bit.
    you could keep the drive low and use feedback to help limit the distortion, but they had significant distortion.

The even harmonic distortion is used for more of a very subtle effect and it can be a good effect in the right place.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I admit some people like distortion. I do not.

When I was coming up back in the 60s the goal was to eliminate distortion, noise, miscellaneous artifacts, yada yada,
    so we could achieve HIGH *FIDELITY* as good as the original – at least within what we could measure meaningfully.

Now that better circuits and digital techniques have eliminated the problems it seems like people want to bring them back again.
    Nostalgia ? Or they are so used to hearing problems they think they are normal ??
    Maybe the newer folks are so used to hearing good sound they just want to hear something different.

Or could it be just to fill the need to be doing something to the soundinstead of doing nothing to it.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

a slightly distorted bass guitar signal cuts better through the mix
    you could hear a saturated voice signal much better
    electrical guitars use distortion
    Rhodes piano sounds are distorted sometimes…

so it all depends on the target…
    a talking person needs no saturation or distortion but could benefit from a bit coloration from tubes as well…
    adding a bit K2 or K3 could enhance many sounds

the Tube Stage is very flexible on this,
    slightly saturated to high distortion is all possible…

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

While a vocalist is singing a chorus that had a dirty sound in the album version, I’d love to be able to punch it in/out quickly instead of having to use the touch screen.

Could probably do some smart filtering with a scene and safes, but would be much simpler to just have a hot key.

If you have spare inputs, you could always double patch the vocal input and have a “clean” channel without the emulator and a “dirty” channel with the emulator. Then you could mix the effect to your tastes using the two faders.

But I totally understand you desire to simply this with a soft key function and agree that it is the best option (although you are correct that you should be able to do this with a load scene softkey – although you will need two keys to do this – one to turn it on and one to turn it off).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.