Slap back effect and why is there a max delay of 84,3 ms on the channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Slap back effect and why is there a max delay of 84,3 ms on the channels

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

Is there a special reason that the max delay on a channel is 84,3 ms while the mix outputs can be delayed by max 170 ms? I was thinking of trying out a slap back effect by using a Y cable and two channels (f.i. channel 1 and 2) with a delay on channel 2. I know there is a slap back effect in the effect library but I’m just curious if and how it will work and sound and how it is to operate the slap back effect this way.

Another way might be to not use a Y cable but connect one of the mix outputs available (with a max delay of 170 ms + 84,3 on the channel is 254,3 ms) to deliver the delayed signal to channel 2. This way channel 2 can be used to adjust the delay within a range of 84,3 ms, the volume, reverb, frequencies used, panning etc.

Does this makes any point or is it just a hard way for something that can be done more easily?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I guess these limits directly correlate to reserved memory per delay line. 4096 (2^12) Samples at 48kHz provide 85.3mSec delay and 8192 (2^13) Samples allow 170.6mSec delay. Don’t think that these delays are intended to be used as FX units (while I like the idea) and wouldn’t expect any movement here.
    Personally I’d prefer to attach an external tap delay and won’t bother getting around these limits…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.