Simple question regarding number of Outputs/Config

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Simple question regarding number of Outputs/Config

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of suhrplayer suhrplayer 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

I need some clarification:

The number of MAXIMUM outputs is 20? have a 2412, TWO AR84’s and then the four outs on the GLD?

Next, can it be configured for just a MONO Main out? I need to conserve every output I can. Also, recording to USB, IF I don’t need recording “gain” control that I would have from a stereo matrix, can be done straight from the MAIN out (if stereo) – right?

Why am I asking – well, am installing into a Church that has Aviom – YEAH. BUT they have the original A-16’s (not the A-16 II) so this is NOT compatible with the Aviom network output from the GLD system SO i have to consume many OUTPUTS to tie into the A-16T (Aviom transmitter). That doesn’t leave me with many outputs left. The GLD does have a Dante card, but that doesn’t give me much to work with without them spending more $ – which getting A-16II’s would be cheaper than Dante IO…..

I can also propose to use a few less than 16 channels on the Aviom, thereby freeing up more IO for two floor monitor mixes, mains, and a couple mono matrix for front fill, Nursey/Foyer and record out….

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The maximum number of mix busses (excluding fx sends) is 20. You can patch the same mix bus to multiple output sockets and you can also patch direct outs to output sockets. With an AR2412 and two AR84’s you’d have 24 output sockets to use as you wish.

If you download the editor you can play around with the mix bus configuration and have a look at the I/O patch page. You can’t get rid of the LR mix completely, you can have a mono bus in addition to it.

Chris

Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

This happened to us a year ago. We had some A-16’s and some A-16II’s. We did the install 2 weeks before Christmas. Ultimately we just pulled the trigger and went ME-1’s and were done with it. It hurt, but in the big scheme of things, the entire setup is still way cheaper than AVID, etc. And you can ebay the AVIOM gear or sell it to another church to offset the costs.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Hi Bob,

Some of these were already answered by Chris. Here are my responses:

1. With a ar2412 and two ar84, you have 24 physical sockets, but ONLY 20 mix outputs.
    2. Mono main output is not supported in the config window, so you will have to use an AUX out. You can feed a mono matrix with this feed for fills and foyer.
    3. Recording can be routed from any output, so a dedicated matrix feed is not necessary.

If their Aviom system is truly not compatible with the gld monitor output, I would search for another option rather than eat up 16 of 20 mix outputs. Losing stereo FOH, stage fills, and/or matrix outs seems like a step backward after a fresh install. I would propose a personal-mixer system upgrade to compliment their investment in the GLD. When choosing the best replacement, I would also recommend switching the inventory to A&H ME-1s. With ME-1s, the GLD feeds channel names down stream and you have 40 audio sources to work with instead of 16.

Hope this is helpful.

Daniel

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Daniel. Mono is available in the configuration. LR+MSum. I just installed a system like that with existing LR speakers and we added a center line array fed from the MSum. Sent that to a Driverack PA2. Did mono plus sub setup.

dcongdon
    Participant

Hi George,

True. I was simply pointing out that the GLD does not have a mono ONLY mix output. I addressed Bob’s question in relation to his need for reduced mix outputs. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I assume he wants a mono output without LR. The purpose is to save a mix output for his 16 direct-outs to aviom. If he uses LR+MSum, that uses up 4 mix outputs (since the GLD always configs outputs in pairs). The only way to config main mix output in mono is to use an aux send (you can use a group or matrix, but those are less practical).

BobWitte
    Participant

Everyone – thanks. I am trying to reduce the # of outputs and of course a thorough understanding of the options allows me to come up with “possibilities”. I can definetley see that I could reduce a few AVIOM channels. Also, I could play games with panning and just use a L,R Main even though it is a mono system, pan everything center basically, but then I give up the quality of the recording feed…. It is all about options. I could argue that with the iPad app, I could give everyone a dedicated monitor channel on the Aviom (basically using the Aviom as a headphone amp – using the existing cabling). And yes, the A-16 does not work on the network – it was discontinued 10 years ago by Aviom. Upgrade to Aviom A-16 II could be an option. ME’s would be awesome but most likely outside the budget.

So, I have the info I need for options….

THANKS

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Bob: hope it all works for you.

Daniel. In my recent install I did a LR+Msum. It does just give a mono out. I have it assigned to Surface out 1. The LR to 2-3. In the selection drop down there is the choice of Main (LR) or Main ( M/C). The C is if you config a LCR setup.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the direct outs don’t use up mix outs, though they’ll obviously use an output XLR.

Chris

dcongdon
    Participant

Bob–I think Chris has identified your best option. It slipped my mind that Direct Outs do not count against your Mix Outputs. Obviously, if you need processing on one of the 16 sends, you’ll need to use up an Aux. For the most part, this setup should leave you with most of your Mix Outputs available.

George–I still agree with you. With config set to LR+Msum, I have used the M/C out with the independent fader control for center fills. It is a very useful config. Even so, this config still eats up 4 Mix Outputs, which was the original issue. Now that Bob can use Direct Outs, using LR+Msum for a mono house mix seems like a great option (if necessary). If Mono is required with the least number of Mix Outputs in use, the next best option seems to be using LR and ignoring Pan.

BobWitte
    Participant

AWESOME – didn’t think about that. I have 24 output sockets so this buys me 4 more outputs and yes, some of the Aviom channels are just single “channels” like click, kick, snare, organ and possibly several more….

And that folks is why this forum is awesome!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

A little extra help – if you cascade an AB168 to the AR2412 (instead of the AR84) you’ll get a further 4 XLR outputs at your disposal. AND 40 XLR inputs on stage with a single Cat5 cable.

BobWitte
    Participant

I have 40 already with 24 available output sockets. That will be enough and that is it for their budget. Right now they will all be a FOH utilizing existing snake. Someday they can be moved. Thanks.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It’s a minor thing, but because of how the mix buttons work I’d much rather use LR (or mono version of) for the main mix rather than an aux. When you have a mix button pressed on an aux, group, input etc. you can default back to LR mix mode by simply pressing the same mix button again.

It’s a handy way to quickly jump to your main mix regardless of whether or not it’s visible on the current layer. Just double press any mix button.

Chris

BobWitte
    Participant

Right now I plan to set up with a normal LR output and use a mono Matrix to feed the main speaker system. The two LR sockets will be used to feed the video recording computer. That way I can maintain a good board gain structure and adjust Main speaker gain separately with the Matrix depending on the mood of the service. This keeps the recording in stereo. With the use of Direct outs, I still have several matrix outputs available for foyer, nursery and front fill feeds.

I visit the church I am working with tomorrow to document all of their existing connections and will no much more about the setup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.