Simple question RE: Sending to FOH

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Simple question RE: Sending to FOH

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dcrann11
    Dcrann11
    Participant

Up coming gig as a four piece at a venue with FOH. We are in ear and want to use the QU16 for our monitoring (using ME’s). We have all the mix outputs available to us except for one –

Is it simply straight ahead to send the signals out of the qu Mix outputs to the stage snake for front of house?

I was looking into an ART S8 to split but it appears we have enough outputs (including L & R) to send everything

any suggestions ?

Many thanks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

What is FOH using – I take it you’re not using a stagebox?

With a 4 piece you could use the Mix1-> ??? as sends to FOH, but you need to ensure that the levels are good (as you do for the ME anyway)

Can they not use the QU at FOH (run a single cat5 back to the stage for the ME system?)

Dcrann11
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Here is some more detail;

FOH will be using a standard snake from the stage.

We are keen to use our own monitoring setup as mentioned. The me’s do not impact using any mix outputs (with the obvious setting the gain stage)

Rather than getting a snake splitter of some kind it makes sense to me to send everything out the qu mix outputs to the stage snake. We are practically able to do this 1 to 1 as as we only use 11 inputs when gigging anyway so a couple of inputs would need to be grouped on the mix outputs (bg’s and toms?)

One of our guys takes a wedge and so I thought this could be returned from FOH
    I have not done this before and wondered if anyone could give me a heads up on anything. I am admittedly learning as a band leader typically doing our own live sound. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks !

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

11 inputs and 12 outputs on the mixer – you can manage that one to one.

The wedge should be driven from FOH for reasons of control.

If you have a decent soundcheck then the gain stages can be dialled n nicely, but I’d be a bit nervous as a FOH engineer – I’d probably be happier learning the QU and running from that – although that would mean a single run of cat5 back to the stage for you guys.

Does the venue have enough returns to back feed the QU/ME1 system? (I.e. Analogue to FOH, and 12 returns from FiH, one to a wedge, 11 to the QU…

Dcrann11
    Participant

Sadly no – 4 mono mix returns. I believe the FOH guy would be happier on his tradition gear and thats fine. I appreciate your info.
    Truth be told going buying the qu16 and going in ear and being spoiled by the nice stereo spread with control right on stage has been a game changer for the band.

thanks!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hmm, then I suspect he’ll have to deal with any clipping you introduce.

At least his monitoring mixes will be easy 😉

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Go back and get a couple of the ART’s, rack ’em up with some XLR patch snakes and you’re good to go. Isolated splits are the best. No fuss, no muss, no messing up either feed.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Like Dick said,
    I have a small case with four Art S8 splitters and they work and sound very nice!
    The only crazy thing is all the extra XLR cables it takes to connect everything, but you’re only dealing with a max of 16 so that ain’t bad. I made some 8 channel fan to fan color coded snakes for my splitters and they keep things tidy.
    eBay has lots of these S8 splitters for cheap.

Dcrann11
    Participant

Appreciate the feedback! I was hoping not to layout extra cash while trying to solve this but picked up a used ART S8 today. curious though; why NOT send from the QU mix outputs if available?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Why not?

FOH should have direct connections to the on-stage inputs with ZERO chance of any inadvertent level changes or routing glitches. You want as few potential points of failure as possible. Splitting all channels to each desk is the tried and true, safest, stablest way to go.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

just a note to help a little further, there are (of course) two outputs for each input.
    One is labeled direct output and the other is labeled Transformer Isolated Microphone Output.

If you want your Qu mixer to provide phantom power for your condenser mics and/or active direct boxes,
    you will want to connect the “direct” outputs to the Qu and the ISO outputs to the house system snake inputs,
    just the opposite if the house system console is going to provide the phantom power.
    This is common because the transformer feeding the ISO output of the S8 blocks DC voltage. No harm if both consoles have phantom on.

Another note of caution,… after plugging in your cables into the front panel inputs, make sure that the two buttons are in the “out” position, if you have low signal on a particular mic and don’t know why, it is probably because the “PAD” button got inadvertatnly pushed. If your Qu or the house console develops 60 cycle hum on any channels, it can almost always be eliminated by pushing the ground lift button for the offending channel.

Have fun!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.