Simple Effects Routing? Why am I such a dolt?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Simple Effects Routing? Why am I such a dolt?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mfk0815 Mfk0815 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

I haven’t a clue what changed.

SQ6. I press L/R Main.
    I set my levels on my mix.
    Now, I select FX 1 (Upper Right.)
    I bring two vocals up so they’re sending to the FX rack 1.
    I check FX under the main screen and I see nothing coming in on FX 1.
    I select layer C which seems to have defaulted to having FX1-4Snd on faders 13-16. They’re at unity gain.
    Next to that in 17-20 are Fx Returns, also at unity gain.

Color me stupid, but isn’t this all correct?

Do I have a routing issue in I/O? If so, what should my settings be?

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Check you haven’t unassigned your channels from the FX mix bus.
    Press FX 1 at the upper right.
    Make sure you’re on the layer where the channels you want to add FX to are.
    Press and hold the assign key on the left above the layer keys.
    Check the Sel keys are lit for those channels. If not, press select while keeping assign down.

If it’s not that then go to the layer where your FX sends are and check they aren’t muted.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Also check that FX sends (& returns) are not assigned to a DCA (or that if they are it’s on & up)

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you do not see any level on the FX send/input master check that the input channels are
    assigned to that FX send.

Good suggestion on check the DCA assignments as well!

Go to the routing menu and then select the input channel, FX send and FX return to double
    check the routing and assignments.

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

So, I’m not sure if this is how it’s supposed to work, but…

What I’m seeing is that while the Aux Mix 1 controls a given fader’s output to that mix, the only way to send FX to the FX rack is through the faders on the L/R Main mix. Then and only then will the FX make its way to the Aux Mixes. Is this a configurable option? Perhaps a post fader issue or something?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What I’m seeing is that while the Aux Mix 1 controls a given fader’s output to that mix, the only way to send FX to the FX rack is through the faders on the L/R Main mix. Then and only then will the FX make its way to the Aux Mixes. Is this a configurable option? Perhaps a post fader issue or something?

The Aux Mix and FX mix sends work the same way, puts the faders into the send level mode
    for the selected aux/mix or FX.

The sends for FX are normally set to post fade, you still need to bring up the send level when you select FX though.

Now it is possible that some how the send to the FX you want to use has been changed.
    You can check that by going to the FX unit menu and selecting the “rear panel” that lets you change the FX input and outout routing options.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

the only way to send FX to the FX rack is through the faders on the L/R Main mix. Then and only then will the FX make its way to the Aux Mixes. Is this a configurable option? Perhaps a post fader issue or something?

Thats normal behaviour. The FX send ist set to post fader so that the amount of FX for that channel will follow the main fader of the channel. If you increase the main level of the channel, the fx level will also increase proportional. The same when you decrease the main level of the channel. This is important to keep the two levels, dry and fx, in the same relation.
    Otherwise,when you use the fx send with a pre fader tap point, this relation donot stay the same when you change the main level of the channel. Increasing the main kevel and it seems that the fx, e.g a reverb, will be too less, decreasing the main level and the reverb seems to be strong. This might be wanted in seldom cases, but this is for sure not a regular use case.

The problem of using post fader fx sends and using the fx output not only for the main mix but also for a pre fader Aux mix is that the dry signals of the input channels can be controlled individual for the main and the aux bus, but the fx return, which is a summing signal of the fx send bus (based on the main mix) treated by the fx engine, is used for the aux bus too. That means that the relationship, while perfectly maintained for the main mix, is not exactly what you want for the aux mix. This maybe can be almost done by a careful setup of main mix and aux mix. But then you should not chang any levels, for main, aux and fx sends, during the performance.

The only remedy is to use a different fx bus for the Aux mix. And even that is not so easy to control.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.