Sidechain dynamic eq and multiband compressor

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Sidechain dynamic eq and multiband compressor

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brady Brady 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eythoralex
    eythoralex
    Participant

So just wondering of it is possible to side chain fx the vocal to the piano with the multiband compressor and dynamic eq. I’m not optimistic that its a built in feature so mainly looking if anyone as a clever workaround (you get surprised what clever ideas people sometimes can come up with).

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

Playing around, I once did this; (I Copy/Paste an old FB message)
    “….For many, no doubt, an obvious workflow. But for me it was new, and it got me enthousiastic.
    Simple scenario with a singer , also playing piano. The goal is, when she sings; let the SQ lower the mids of the piano, just a bit.
    Workflow :
    -put a ducker on the piano, trigger it with her voice, and lead the result in a group. I did not assign this piano to LR
    -insert the DynEQ plug-in in this group, so that it enhances the low and high, when the piano is soft (thus when she sings). But leaves the piano as it is, when she’s not singing.
    -in my case I doubled the original piano on the surface, giving control over the untouched and the often softer one with the bass and treble boosted. (More or less the same as saying the original piano, with mids cut)
    -make a nice mix from the voice, the Dynamic EQ piano, and the original piano
    -As a safe guard the Multiband Compressor was inserted on the main out

I think the result was nice and musical, worth the ‘hassel’, and I hope worth mentioning here “

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

Probably you could do something simular, with a gate. Arrange that the piano is available on two channel strips of the SQ. Inverse the polarisation of one. Put a gate on it, and sidechane it with the vocals. Arrange the EQ of this piano in a way that it punches ‘a hole’ in the original piano when the singer sings. Hope this makes sense

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

there is no workaround
    the devices have no separate key in
    side chaining is only possible with the channel processing

Profile photo of Valentyn L
    Valentyn L
    Participant

+1 for sidechain for multiband compressor and dynamic eq.

Profile photo of CLabeck
    CLabeck
    Participant

+1 for built in sidechain for multiband compressor and dynamic eq

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

+1 from me!

I was just looking for this to compress the bass at around 63 Hz keyed from the kick so the kick doesn’t get swamped by this particular bassist’s tone. It sounds great but needs a little help when they hit the down beat together. I’d rather not compress the bass fully, just at around that frequency.

Profile photo of Mr.Si
    Mr.Si
    Participant

+1 for this please!

I’ve been hearing about this sort of thing recently and I think it would be a fabulous addition to the add-on processing. I know it’s possible with some of the comps like the Opto (but not the 76), so would love to be able to do it with the DynEQ and MBC Keying similar frequency instruments like keys and electrics off of each other or the whole band off the vocals to help them cut through more.

Profile photo of Milow
    Milow
    Participant

+1

This way I use the MBC/dynEQ in 75% on dLive or other consoles

Profile photo of TimmyP
    TimmyP
    Participant

What peeves me about the MBC is that I have to spend $89 to get a plugin that B gives me for free in a $399 mixer – and it’s a 5 band.

Profile photo of Valentyn L
    Valentyn L
    Participant

+1 for built in sidechain for multiband compressor and dynamic eq

Profile photo of Soundave
    Soundave
    Participant

+1 or all of this.

Profile photo of Brady
    Brady
    Participant

+1 for sidechain capability! I just bought DynEQ4 for specifically this purpose, and am saddened to realize it isn’t capable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.