Shure MX153 with Qu 32

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Shure MX153 with Qu 32

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of psikes psikes 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Hello all, I am looking to tap into the wisdom of the forum once again. I am trying to prepare for a show using some Shure MX153 headworn microphones and am hoping that someone else has done a mix with these before and can share some eq knowledge with me. They will be used for spoken word only, no singing involved. These would not have been my first choice of microphone but they are what I have to work with.

Thanks, Phil

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It all depends on the person wearing it. Everyone’s speech is different. Might require a little too end to get more clarity. Some low end roll off, HPF. Maybe a little low mid ducking. Hard to say. I have cases with same mic on several ppl and the EQ and compressors settings are all different.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Thanks George, that is about what I was thinking for a starting point.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That should have been TOP end. Couldn’t edit.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

That should have been TOP end. Couldn’t edit.

Don’t know if the edit function has ever really worked!

If you haven’t ever done a spoken word event before you will be…let me say amazed of all the different vocal tonalities and presentation styles or lack of that you will be faced with.

There’s a speech pattern called “vocal fry” creaky scratchy voice sound that I hear many times in the “younger crowd” as they mimic some pop culture tv stars and I use the term star loosely! It drives me crazy when I hear someone talking that way.

It sounds like your only dealing with one presenter.
    At least they will be on a headset mic so the mic placement will be consistent, do get me started on mic technique or lack of both at podium and handheld mics.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Don’t know if the edit function has ever really worked!

it worked, sometimes…. 🙂

the high pass filter is your best friend with this…
    you can reach natural sounding talks with proper high pass filtering and a little extra eq and light compression (3-5dB)

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

The event went great. We had 5 headsets and one handheld SM58 wireless in use. I started with the Beta58 preset and worked from that. Three female voices and two male. The only problem was one of the women sounding like a breaching whale between her lines. A bit of compression and it was much more under control. All in all a fun evening of murder mystery fun with lots of audience participation.

Thanks for the hints along the way.

Phil

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For some reason I was thinking your were only dealing with a single mic.

I your case the auto mix mode for those mics may have been worth trying.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

That is in the near future. Our next theatre event will have at least 8 headsets in use and we will try the AMM then.

Phil

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

The AMM will work for theater ONLY if the actors never talk over one another and there is never any more than one person speaking/singing at a time.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The AMM will work for theater ONLY if the actors never talk over one another and there is never any more than one person speaking/singing at a time.

If will work with more than one person talking, that gain will be averaged between the number of mics in use. If need be you can bump up those channels a little during those lines or set them in the AMM for a bit more available gain.

With latest QU firmware update the AMM detector can be set to follow the channel fader,
    with that if you turn someone one down who leaves the stage and that person starts talking while off stage their mic is still not be detected by the AMM and falsely changing the gain averaging.

Profile photo of psikes
    psikes
    Participant

Thanks for all of the hints using AMM. The fall show od our performing arts club will be my first attempt with it.

Phil

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.