Sharing inputs

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Sharing inputs

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of whatsoup whatsoup 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

I’ve recently bought some digital decks that need to go through my SQ-5.

I’m all out of inputs and I’m wondering, can I use splitters on two of the inputs, so I don’t have to keep switching cables?

The chances are I won’t be using the devices going into the splitters at the same time.

Does anyone know if using splitters is possible, and if so, any there any negative affects I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not sure I’m following what you want to do.

Do you want to split an input source to go two different mixers or inputs?

Or do you want to combine two input sources to feed one input on the mixer?

What do you mean by “digital decks” are they audio playback sources?

Do you have a stage box with your SQ5?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Depends on your digital decks whatever they are.

Can you ? Yes.

Should you ? Maybe not. Depends on details.

How many inputs do you need?

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

If you need to have the signals from two different sources going into the same input, then I would suggest using “proper” combiners like:
    https://www.img-stageline.com/products/audio-tools/line-combiner-line-splitter/lc-31/
    (assuming we talk 2 line level signals)

Or the mic version:
    https://www.img-stageline.com/products/audio-tools/line-combiner-line-splitter/mc-31/

Not able to find the rack version right now, but had one at a job with 8 x 2 inputs combined to 8 outputs.

Alternative might be a stagebox, and then just have the inputs in a library or change them as needed in the I/O.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If this is a case of needing to combine two sources to one input and it sounds like
    they are active line level units then as just mentioned you really need/should use
    a combiner.

Here is a Whirlwind isolated combiner similar to the Stageline model.

https://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/combiners/imp-line-level-combiner

Here is a mic level version.

https://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/combiners/imp-combiner

As for combining two dynamic mics into a signal channel, I’m going to guess
    at one point or another most of us here have used a Y cable to combine two mics
    when at the last minute we need that one more for an extra drum tom!

whatsoup
    Participant

To clarify, I want to put 2 x input sources into one source on the mixer (on two channels for stereo)

The digital decks are a Pioneer XDJ-XZ all-in-one DJ unit, which has its own mixer built in, so it would be line level leaving the Pioneer before it went into the SQ, although the other source is a eurorack module (which accepts line level, but I’m unsure of it’s output voltage)

By the sounds of your replies it’s not as simple as just using a splitter, but with this new information, do you you think I would still require a combiner?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

whatsoup
    Participant

I couldn’t edit my post, so just adding:

I see some of you have mentioned stage boxes, which I was considering a few months ago.

As I understand it – off the top of my head – the SQ5 has 48? internal channels. If I am currently using all the physical inputs on my SQ-5 (no USB inputs or outputs are used) how many more channels would I have available to me, disgregarding the amount of physical inputs a stage box would give me?

Hope that makes sense. A stage box is a lot of money for me, but if it buys me more inputs internally it might be better to futureproof myself that way!

Thanks – hope that wasn’t too confusing

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note109.html

Your SQ5 has 17 mic preamps (including talkback, which can be used like any other), and the 3 stereo inputs. So that’s 23. Adding a stage box would give you another 16 (or 8 or 24 if you choose an AR box)
    You can use all of these at once , up to a total of 48.

whatsoup
    Participant

Thanks for the link @markpaman – I know what I need to avoid.

Unfortuneately I have used all the other inputs you mention, except the mini jack on the front of the desk.

Does anyone know if I will lose any quality going from the 2 x XLR or 1/4″ mono out of my Pioneer mixer, into a joint stereo mini jack into the front of the SQ? Not ideal but it will do for now!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@whatsoup

you will lose no quality, but might lose some reliability in the long term with the smaller connector.

we use it with a special cord to connect an iphone with music. plugs on one end for the board and another one for the phone.
    I had expected the phone would have poor quality but I got pleasantly surprised.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Using the ST3 3.5 front surface jack will work but as noted 3.5mm jacks and connectors
    in general are not the heavy duty for day in day out pro use.

You would need a cable like this to come out the DJ mixer and into the ST3 jack.

https://www.parts-express.com/Hosa-CMP-153-3.5mm-TRS-to-Dual-1-4-TS-Stereo-Breakout-3-ft.-241-9010

whatsoup
    Participant

Thanks for your replies all. I will get an angled cable for the mini jack input!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks for your replies all. I will get an angled cable for the mini jack input!

Good call on getting a right angle jack, that will lesson the chance of
    something hitting it a getting broken.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

If you can find a cable with angled 3.5 stereo jack to 2×6.3 mono jack I would be interested. Never seen one preconfigured….

whatsoup
    Participant

I normally get them custom made, but the price I just received was quite high. I was about to looking for a pre-made cable, but now you’ve said you don’t find them easy, I might just get them to make it 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.