setting up side chain compression A+H 22FX

Forums Forums Other A&H products setting up side chain compression A+H 22FX

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of noob39
    noob39
    Participant

Hi! im new to Allen and heath mixers and recently bought a 22fx having previously owned mackie VLZ. my question is how do I set it up with my dbx266 compressor? I want to side chain compress a lot of my channel strips but no all of them! ive no idea how to proceed so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

wtf
    why should this be related to the mixer in any way?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

why is any outboard device people want to use with the mixer related ?

side chaining channel strips is not that uncommon and others here have discussed it.

Profile photo of noob39
    noob39
    Participant

its great to meet you too!

SteffenR
    Participant

really? Side chain a compressor with analog inserts is a matter of the mixer?
    then my side chains work different than yours

and btw the dbx266 has a very useful documentation
    that covers general side chain use as well

and still it is not related to the mixer,
    since this dynamics processor could be used together with much more other devices

@noob39

can you provide your real name? No? so no real help…

Profile photo of noob39
    noob39
    Participant

yeh I think the 22fx is an analogue mixer with analogue inputs. im not looking for a fight though!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@noob39

dont take it personally

@SteffenR does this sort of thing to a lot of people

Profile photo of noob39
    noob39
    Participant

its ok I just wanted a bit of help. all the best

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hi! im new to Allen and heath mixers and recently bought a 22fx having previously owned mackie VLZ. my question is how do I set it up with my dbx266 compressor? I want to side chain compress a lot of my channel strips but no all of them! ive no idea how to proceed so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

A couple questions…..
    – Do you want to use the side chain function on the DBX266 or do you just want to insert the compressor directly on a channel of the mixer?
    – Were you doing this with your Mackie mixer?
    – What Mackie VLZ model mixer did you have before?

The FX22 does not have groups so you can not do group compression. That said there is a tricky way to make the FX22
    act as a two group mixer, if you want to know I’ll explain it later, let me know.

To just “insert” the compresssor on a channel (with just one DBX266 you can only do it to two channels)
    You will need a 1/4 inch TRS cable that breaks out into two 1/4 inch TS plugs or to properly wired unbalanced XLR connectors.
    The tip of the 1/4 inch TRS is the send to the compressor and the ring of the 1/4 inch TRS is the return back into the mixer channel from the comressor.
    Plug that into a channels insert jack, connect to the compressor and you will have compression on that channel.

Now if you want to actually “side chain” control the DBX compressor’s compression threshold detector circuit from one channels signal source while the comp compresses another channel you will need the same insert cable as before and plug that into the channel you want to compress.
    Now in the case of this mixer and the DBX 266 for the side chain trigger you will need a straight thru 1/4 inch TRS cable with a 1/4 inch TRS plug on both ends, plug one end into the side chain jack on the compressor and the other end into the channle that you want to trigger the compressor.
    If you are side chain compressing what channel do you want to compress and triggered from what channel.

I did insert comps and a gates all time with my analog Allen Heath mixers!

SteffenR
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.