Setting gain while using MWAVES

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Setting gain while using MWAVES

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bryce
    Bryce
    Participant

Hello,

We are setting up a new pair of Avantis boards and one of them uses Waves card and then uses Dante to distribute the audio rhat comes in via SLink. We used the tie lines to send audio to the Waves network and then set each channel strip input to the return from waves. With this setup, there is no control over the input gain to the stage box.

Are there any workarounds for this short of changing the input to SLink, setting the gain and going back? Is this the preferred way of routing through waves (perhaps we should be using inserts?), or is this simply a software quirk of the Avantis?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

what do you want to do with the waves card? Processing? Or recording?

for processing it is better to use the inserts, since these are made for this…
    you will keep the control over the preamps

for recording it could be better to use tie lines

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Do you have both a Waves card and a Dante card? I get the impression you have just a Waves card.

(Just an explanation here – I realize this doesn’t answer your question, but I like to give explanations for other people reading this in the future).
    The Waves system does not use Dante as it’s communication protocol. It is a proprietary protocol that works similar to Dante, but you need Waves cards at each device. You cannot use a Dante card in one device and a Waves card in another device and expect either protocol to talk with the other protocol.

You can however pass signals between two devices over the Waves system as long as both devices have Waves cards. Obviously most people use Waves along with a Waves processor of some sort to add plugins, but this isn’t actually required. You can pass regular audio channels just like a Dante system would (except it needs it’s own connections because Waves cannot use regular network connections like Dante does).

This can be cheaper when you already use a Waves system for plugins. Have a SQ6 with Waves and want to pass audio to a console of a different manufacturer? Just add a waves card to the second console and you can use the Waves system to pass audio to it. You just have to have enough capacity in the Waves cards to handle all the connections. For example, with a 64/64 channel Waves card in the SQ, you could pass 32 channels to a second board (and receive 32 channels back if you needed to use it’s local I/O for some reason) and 32 channels to a Waves computer and back again – or any combination of the two up to 64 in and 64 out.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Dante is a proprietary protocol as well
    and Waves uses network connections as well

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Yeah I didn’t quite follow the OP initially. Now coming back to it days/weeks later, it makes more sense to me. They have both cards in their system. My post was simply to say that you can’t use a Dante card to speak to a Waves card and vice versa. However that wasn’t what the OP was asking about – hence my misunderstanding of the question.

We just set up a Dante card in our new Avantis board and we are sending 6 channels to Reaper to have a FX effect applied and then returned to the board. We decided to route this via an insert on each of those 6 channels on the board. As Steffen already mentioned, this allows us to keep the gain control of the preamp.

The only drawback to the inset method is that if the computer/system that the inserts are being sent to has issues (looses power, crashes, etc), you loose audio signal on that channel. However it is very easy to create a scene that has everything but those insert points “safe”. This means the only thing that changes when loading the scene is those 6 insert points (in our situation). I’ve created a “Inserted” scene and a “No insert” scene and can load them depending on what I need. We’ve even assigned a softkey to those two scenes, so if the computer crashes in the middle of the show, I simply press the “No insert” soft button and it loads the scene without the inserts for near instantaneous reaction. If I want those channels being processed by the off-board system, I simply have to press the “Inserted” softkey.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.