Setting a DCA group as Pre-Fade in an Auxiliary Mix?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Setting a DCA group as Pre-Fade in an Auxiliary Mix?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bill
    Bill
    Participant

Is there a way to make a channel group function pre-fade in an auxiliary mix?

We’re using an SQ5 for a live venue (Main L/R) as well as a livestream (Aux4), and have a couple of condenser mics to capture audience reaction at certain times (volume, etc. needs to be variable). The audience reaction level needs to be much higher in the livestream than in Main L/R. We have them all in a DCA group and each individual mic is set to Pre-Fade in the Aux4 mix. We are however running into a few issues:
    1. Typically the audience reaction levels need to changed at the same time that a bunch of Main L/R changes need to be made and these transitions are proving difficult.
    2. Even if we can find an additional person to work Aux4 using the MixPad app, clicking and dragging each slider is less than ideal
    3. We can eliminate the difficulty if we just mute/unmute the DCA group, but there’s a sharp and noticeable cut-in/cut-out compared to sliding the levels up and down.
    4. There are occasions that we want to amplify someone in the front into Main L/R, or additional musicians show up and use these, so just taking them out of Main L/R altogether isn’t an option.

Is it possible to set this DCA group to pre-fade in the Aux4 mix (or is there something equivalent)? A single slider for all the condensers would improve the situation dramatically.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’d assume you don’t want these mics in the main mix at all?

If you turn them “Off” in the LR mix (or unassigned them – same thing) and then set them post fade for Mix 4, you’ll be able to control them with the faders of the main mix, and/or with a DCA.

Profile photo of Bill
    Bill
    Participant

Thank you for that super quick response, but no – we do need them in Main L/R as well. See #4 above. To be honest I think a lot of the issue is that this is being used by amateurs (myself included) and I’m trying to figure out how to make things that wouldn’t bother pros easier for us.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Apologies for missing #4.
    When being used for the main mix, can they not just be set in the same way as all your “normal” mics?

Another option would be to patch them each to a second strip (if you have spares) for independent control.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I get why you want some room ambient mics brought into the live stream feed at certain times.
    Normally those mics are never going to be in the main PA mix.
    Have you tried that and gotten the levels you needed.
    Where are these mics positioned?

You said sometimes you use them for extra musicians, I would look at a couple mics dedicated to picking up the room and nothing more, a couple basic hanging choir mics
    should work.

Back to your question, maybe look at assigning those mics to their own aux and all the other live stream inputs to another separate aux and then send them to a matrix, use the matrix out to feed the live stream. Adjusting the room mics aux master then as needed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.