Sequencer bpm issue with keyboard

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Sequencer bpm issue with keyboard

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of janw janw 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

Hi all,

With our band we rehearse and play live with our A&H qu24. A fantastic thing to have but we have one issue. When linking up all instruments and our keyboardplayer starts a repeating sequence of notes set on a fixed bpm, randomly the speed of the sequence changes. At first it slows down, then it speeds up again, slows down etc. Very annoying. We have tried with another keyboard but with same issue. So it must be an issue with the link or the setup in the a&h itself. The keyboard is linked to the qu via a DI box. Any thoughts what could solve the problem. All ideas welcome as it drives us crazy. Tx a lot in advance.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Can you state some more details of your setup, notably any USB or MIDI connections? It’s an impossibility that a DI audio connection will cause your BPM to change!

DC

Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

Tx for quick reply.

Setup:

Guitar input via xlr in
    Bass input via xlr in
    Electronic Drum input via xlr in
    Keyboard input via xlr in stereo via 2 channels
    Mics in via xlr in

No midi connection. No usb connection.

I wonder if i should change something in gate or compressor etc.

Also it happens mostly when we all play together, much less when keyboard sequencer plays alone. Hope this help

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Any tempo change is not anything to do with the desk.

Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

Could it be that we have made the wrong connections to the desk?

How typically do you link a keyboard ( in our case a korg m50) to the desk?

MarkPAman
    Participant

If the keyboard is close to the desk, then Jack lead to line input of a channel on the desk, either L only for mono or L+R into two channels stereo. For longer distances, plug those jack leads into DI boxes & use XLR leads to run to the desk.

However, nothing plugged into the outputs of your keys should be able to change the tempo of sequences in any way.
    You could check power supplies are all good & the correct one for the keyboard, and also that, as you’re using XLR inputs on the desk, that Phantom (48V) power in not switched on. But I still think it’s the way the keyboard is programmed.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yep – the XLR are “one way” audio signals only.
    No FX or anything I presume…

Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

MarkPaman,

Tx a lot for the useful info. We will check and try your ideas. I will revert if we have the same issues after trying.

Tx a lot in advance

Rgrds

Zecure

Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

@xapbob

No fx indeed. Only fx is programmed in keyboard.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Then it’s something keyboard wise, not QU wise. Does the keyboard have speakers, what does it sound like if you unplug the cables and use those?

Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

It does not have speakers but when linking it to an active speaker with no other instruments, there are no changes in the tempo. It is really a mystery.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Are you able to use a USB stick to record what’s happening & stick it somewhere we can listen? DropBox or something?

Profile photo of Zecure
    Zecure
    Participant

I am the guitar player of the band. We rehearse next week. We will try to record it indeed and try to post a link on this chat discussion. Tx in the meantime for all your help.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Try a quick video of it as well…
    Might be worth running L=>QU and R=>Active speaker?

Profile photo of janw
    janw
    Participant

i am the keyboard (Korg M50) guy
    I have been testing for many hours already, if I play this sequence at home through headphones or if I record it (on an ipad) and I measure the time in between 2 sequences it is very exact for many many minutes…
    I really do not believe this has anything to do with the programming of the synt
    also : during one specific live gig we used the equipment of the organizer, (by coincidence also A&H): there was NO delay so I am convinced it has the do with the settings on the A&H. Same reasoning as we connected a totally different keyboard (yamaha MoXF6) and that same sequence showed the same crazy delays…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.