Separate Vocal Reverb for ME-1

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Separate Vocal Reverb for ME-1

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barryjam Barryjam 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

HI Folk
    What is the best way of getting a separate vocal reverb effect on a channel of the ME-1, without using the reverb as an insert (that would obviously be heard through the FOH Mix)?
    Cheers S

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

The effects returns are available to patch to any of the monitor channels in the I/O Patch screen.

If it’s just for one vocal, then using the effect in “Ch>Return” mode may make the most sense.

Just make sure that the FX return is not routed to L+R.

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

Unfortunately I don’t think its possible to not route the returns to the main bus 🙁

This seems to be a bit of an issue for the ME-1, it kind of makes it useless! Every article I have ever read about IEM says that you need a bit of reverb in the mix. I have one on loan for testing and this is exactly why! it’s one of those things you kind of assume will be possible and only discover later that it isn’t. Kind of like the lack of a low pass filter on any of the outputs!
    Walk into any bar these days and you will see that most acts use a sub, having to purchase a drive rack or crossover is ridiculous for a mixer that is supposed to be a modern one stop “do it all” mixer 🙁
    Sorry, but I get mad just thinking about it 🙂

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If you understand “main bus” to be LR, this obviously is possible.
    If you refer to the monitor streams, please check out section 11.17 “I/O Patch Setup – Monitor” in The Manual. FX returns are routed per default to the monitor streams on Qu16 and Qu24, you just have to do this manually on Qu32/Pac/SB.

…and leaving crossovers and limiters to specialized parts and not to try implementing “somthing” into a mixer is still a good decision. Lowpass is simply not enough to correctly feed a sub. …still like to see a low cut on mix PEQs, though.

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

Thanks Andreas
    How do I stop the FX return from going to the LR please?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

By NOT engaging the little green ON-button from the FX-return in question whwn in LR mode.

And by the way: all modern powered PA systems have internal processing so no need to worry about driveracks there. This may change if you happen to encounter a passive system but isn’t it the resposibility of the PA owner to supply the complete kit then ?

About the reverb on IEM’s: mixing in some ambient noise takes you a long way. It largely mimics the “natural reverb” one gets from playing on a stage I feel.

Giga

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Giga is correct that simply putting up an ambient mic, pointing it towards the audience and mixing a bit of that into the IEM mixes is an easy solution and is also standard practice on large tours.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I don’t know what you’ve been reading, but IME folks use one or more ambient mics for a natural presence in IEM’s rather than reverb. You need to learn a few things, I think:

1. How the Qu works and where the control/routing options are accessed.

2. There is no such thing as a “one stop, do it all mixer”.

3. PATIENCE

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Do I really need to point out that each ME-1 has a builtin mic with a private ambient level control for just that purpose?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Do I really need to point out that each ME-1 has a builtin mic with a private ambient level control for just that purpose?

Apparently.

Or better yet, wrap the answer around a brick and…

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

Two things:
    The ambient mic on the ME-1 goes some way to helping with the isolation felt when using IEM, it doese NOT stop the vocals from sounding harsh and dry. The fact that the latest Aviom 360 has included a reverb effect specially for this vindicates my statement.

I was not expecting “something” as a crossover, I was as expecting a proper filter with selectable LR modes etc, Just like a Behrringrr X32 that is a couple of years older than this unit. Even my old Mackie analogue desk has A Sub output. So please don’t tell me that my expectations are unrealistic and some BS about it not being part of the PA. I bought the Qu-SB to replace the X32 for live gigs, only to discover that I now needed to go and spend some more money and modify my amp rack.
    Yes, it is my own fault for not checking, but that does not preclude me from voicing my opinion, one which it seems I am not alone in voicing on this forum.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

The qu is a mixing console, no more no less.

It isn’t a speaker processor.

Profile photo of Simon
    Simon
    Participant

What exactly does your comment mean? Under your definition are the X32 or the Presonus or all the other similar products not mixing consoles? Or is there some other special word for a mixing console with a built in sub feed that I don’t know? What about the onboard effects, don’t they make the Qu an effects rack? What about the recording ability, does that make it a mutitrack recorder? If you are going to be pedantic we could go on forever… The Qu is a very nice mixing console with some better features than it’s competitors and some unfortunate omissions, excuse me for mentioning one of them and upsetting your whole world!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Whatever desk you look at, there’s always going to be another feature that people will wish for – I’ve got several, though speaker processing in not one of them, as I doubt I could improve on the ones that KV2, RCF or even dB Technologies have supplied with their systems that I’m tending to use at the moment.

Back when I had analogue desks, I wished for a compact desk with two effects units built in. I got that, so then I wished for adjustable HPF on each channel, eq on each output, full PEQ on mic channels etc etc. Now all of those things a pretty well standard for digital desks, I wish for thing like de-essers, multi band compressors, & side chains. All of these things did/do exist or course, but at a step or two up from what I wanted to pay (and in the case of analogue usually a much larger unit too).

So we’ve all got things we’d like to see added, but there must be a limit to what the processor can do, and if my wishes don’t end up happening, I’m not going to start ranting about how some other desk can do it, so it must be easy to just write a bit more code.

I feel that today I’ve got a much better desk than the one I bought, and was happy with, when they first came out and it didn’t cost me a thing to make it better.

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

tiny point here…

I just received my first me-1 and was actually reading the manual and, in A&H own words…

“Note:The Local Mic is for stage sound and is not intended for adding audience ambience or communicating with other musicians over the CAT5 link.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.