Separate EQ mixes for monitors and main LR outputs, is this possible?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Separate EQ mixes for monitors and main LR outputs, is this possible?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of fatjon fatjon 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RJD
    RJD
    Participant

Hi allen & heath forum. My band has had a QU16 for over a year now and have just moved to IEM’s. Is it possible to have a separate EQ mix in our ears to whats going out front of house? e.g. our drummer wanted some more bottom end on his snare in his ears, however any change to the eq of the snare (channel 2) currently affects what comes out of the LR master mix aswell as all of the mix outputs, even if the blue button for mix 2 is selected when making the EQ changes on the snare channel.

Many thanks

Ryan

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Channel by channel EQ is not split between mains and mixes.

Each mix output has an EQ both parametric and graphic, of course that applies EQ to everything in that mix.

To do separate channel EQ for monitor mixes you would need to split the needed channels, one channel for the main mix and the other for monitors, that kind of creates a monitor mixer within the same mixer but it eats up a lot of channels.

How many channels are you running, how many channels do you need to separate EQ control between mains and monitors, are you using a remote stage box?

You can split the channels with an XLR Y cable or if you are using a stage box you can do the channel splits in the stage box patching.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

If you need to have separate Channel EQ on Mains and Mixes, there are two ways to do it:

1. Split the input of all required channels into separate “monitor only” channels.

2. Use a second console for monitors and use a splitter snake to feed both consoles.

If you’re out of channels on the Qu-16 as is (I suspect), you could get another Qu-16 and split snake OR trade in the 16 for either a Qu-pac or Qu-sb and add an AB168. Use the 32 channels as 16 mains (local inputs) and 16 monitor (d-snake inputs). You need some way to do an analog split either way.

Ask the drummer to pay for the extra gear required to cater to his whims and those whims will likely evaporate…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

“Ask the drummer to pay for the extra gear required to cater to his whims and those whims will likely evaporate…”

Dick never lets us down with his extra words of wisdom!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Or the drummer couldld take things into their own hands.

I’ve recently mixed a couple of drummers who were using in ears from their own small desks. They’ve split Kick & Snare mics (and one also took a line from the bass guitar amp) to mixer, and taken a mix feed from me to provide the rest of what they want.

Both supplied their own, good, Kick & Snare mics, and the splitter cables needed, which I guess keeps things consistent for them regardless of the PA setup. One was using a ZED-10FX, the other had a small B*******r thingy, again with built in effects.

Profile photo of Yann
    Yann
    Participant

I’m guessing your monitor mix is post fade? Otherwise you could just split the input of the the snare and have that channel just going to monitors, easy.

If you are mixing monitors post fade, (I dont know QU well, but on SQ I would:) un-assign the snare from the monitor mix and route it into a spare group, send the group to monitors only and use the group’s PEQ/Graphic to make the changes needed in the monitor without affecting Main LR. You could do this with as many channels as you want without affecting the others that are going straight to monitor.

I do this with some microphones so I can use the Graphic EQ on the group to ring out some nasty onstage feedback without affecting the general monitor’s EQ for other sources.

Sorry if none of this applies to QU, i’ve never used one.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

On shows where I do monitors at FOH I just do them post pre amp. I do so much House EQ I can’t put that in the monitors. I use each mixes PEQ and GEQ to tweak. I don’t get any complaints doing it this way.

MarkPAman
    Participant

This is how I usually do it too.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Not a fan of B*******r then Mark 🙂 🙂

MarkPAman
    Participant

They have their uses. Some of there stuff is very good, especially for what it costs, but some is truly awful. The small analogue mixers fall somewhere in the middle IMHO.

The only thing I use regularly these days is a cable tester, though there’s still a few other bits in my store.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

I was looking at the X32 before I plumped for the QU 16 and QU Pac. Having used the X32 as guest engineer at 3 festivals (all via the same prod company) I made the right choice. It’s okay but outside of the nice scribble strips, A&H gear is better in just about every way.

I do have other bits – same cable tester as you Mark, plus bog standard and slightly better DI boxes and a shark feedback destroyer. It’s okay for the money. I also have Turbosound IP2000 speakers which are just the biz – but then they were a good company before Music Group bought them.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

@gcumbee or @markpaman
    Could you elaborate when you say “On shows where I do monitors at FOH I just do them post pre amp. ”
    What do you mean? Could you elaborate a bit when you have a moment.
    Thanks

MarkPAman
    Participant

It’s possible to choose where the Pre Fade send takes its signal from.
    This is set per mix from the mix’s master screen. May be another way too?

Post pre-amp means no PEQ, or dynamic settings are heard in the monitor mix, so you are free to mix FOH.

Not quite such a good sound for the band, but a better one for the punters.

The PEQ on each mix is usually enough to keep the band happy.

Profile photo of Yann
    Yann
    Participant

Waiheke, When you send to mix you can choose pre or post fade, post fade obviously follows the level on the Main LR.

But if you go to routing, and click the settings symbol under an Aux channel name, you can pick where to take the signal from. Post pre amp, takes the signal straight from the gain control, the most basic unprocessed signal, after that you can choose to go after the insert (if you use them), after the PEQ (this is what people are trying to avoid) and after the input delay.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

@Weiheke
    What I mean is I send the monitors the mics before any EQ or compressor. Reason being I don’t want changes I make in the FOH going to the monitors. Generally it works. Occasionally a singer might ask for something EQ wise on their speaker. If so I might tweak their PEG or GEQ on that mix to accommodate them.

Does that help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.