Sennheiser 901 Boundary Mic

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Sennheiser 901 Boundary Mic

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rhill
    rhill
    Participant

Being used on a Tama 22×20 that sounds good unmixed and tuned. Started out with AH presets for the 901 mic.

Im having the worst issue trying to dial in this mic at higher levels. Low levels seem to be normal. Does anybody have any suggestions. This is for live performances.
    Fx your using
    Compressor settings
    PEQ
    EQ
    LOCATION (IM USING kicker kick drum muffler) mic mounts right on. Used Kelly shue for standard mic at one time..

Anything you done would help. Ill.compare and try anything at this point before I ditch the mic.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

I never used preset’s at all. I use my ears, i start with no eq no fx no gate no compression.

Then i go lisning to decide what has to be done to get the sound i need.

Is the phantom power on?

Richard

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi,

I have been using the same mic for a few years now along with the Kicker 2.0 muffler, I think it is a great mic for kick and takes very little eq to get a good solid kick. I don’t use any of AH presets, just my ears.

The only minor problem I have had with the mic is it emitting white noise whist sat idle, turns out that it had got damp from being stored in a mic box in the van. I stored it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days and that has cured that, for now anyway..

I have even used it as an ambience mic for picking up the room whilst recording a multi-track at one of our shows.

🙂

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There are too many variables involved for anyone to call out EQ, compressor and gate settings. We don’t know what the drum actually sounds like, what the PA system is or the room it’s being used in.

I will say I rarely use any FX on the a kick drum unless it’s just for a one time special effect.

My go to kick mics are either a D6 or an older Crown PZM, more or less what the 901 is.

Profile photo of rhill
    rhill
    Participant

Lee7: I know I’m asking alot I’ve tried everything. For my studio I use E902/904 and for live I’ve been using E602/604 and love them. I’ll understand if you dont want too but your set up is as close to mine as can be. Would you mind sharing your settings. I can try that as a starting point before I just go back to my 602 with a Kelly shue. Thanks for all your advise already.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@rhill – No problem, once the rain stops here I will grab my QU from the van and will screen shot my settings, well, my last used settings as these will differ from show to show.

Cheers
    Lee

Profile photo of rhill
    rhill
    Participant

Your the best. I really want to love this mic. Have a great day and Happy New year.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@rhill – Check your messages. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.