Sending Mixes to LR in QU-SB?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Sending Mixes to LR in QU-SB?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Just got my QU-SB, so I’m still struggling with the learning curve, so I hope this isn’t too dumb a question. I’m hoping to create mixes using the different mix busses and then select on to send to the LR mains. It seems this should involve the matrix? But I can’t seem to get it to work. The instructions (and posts) I’m finding all related to the mixers with on-device controls, and I’m not being able to relate them to the QU Pad-only controls of the QU-SB.

So, on the QU-Pad/QU-SB, how would I get Mix 5-6 routed to the L-R Main?

Related question: If I want a 2nd output that mirrors the output of L-R Main that I can send to an external recorder/video camera, how would I best do that? It seems the Q-Pac has hardware outputs for this purpose, but the QU-SB does not. Can I simulate this with some routing set up?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Why not save different mixes to scenes and recall them as needed?

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

If I want a 2nd output that mirrors the output of L-R Main

One way to do that is to use a spare mix, set all channels to post fader, and all faders to 0. For a recording send, this gives you the advantage of not sending them your system EQ, and you can reduce the output level if they need without compromising anything else. If you want to get fancy, you can even tinker with their mix.

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Hmm, I think my questions are more basic than that. Like “what button(s) do I push to set up this type of routing?”. When I try to follow the instructions in the manuals (which aren’t for the SB), they refer to buttons I don’t have, like function keys. Is there an actual manual for the QU-SB, not just the quick start?

as far as scenes, that’s something I need to explore, but that’s not what I’m trying to do. Really, all I want for now is to be able to have the main L-R outputs and another output that mirrors that for an external send (to a video recorder). I thought the way I could do that would be to use a Mix that gets sent to L-R, so I’d have both LR and Mix outputs. This seems to all just be because the SB doesn’t have an aux output. If I could figure out how to set up that routing, then maybe I could save it to a scene.

I may have bought the wrong device… The SB seems like it’s rather limited compared to the bigger versions, and I think I’m fighting to work around missing outputs.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Assign each input channel POST FADER to Mix 5&6.
    Go to Mix 5&6 and bring up each input channel fader to 0 (unity).
    Bring up the Mix 5&6 Master Fader to 0 (unity).
    The output of Mix 5&6 will now mirror your L/R mix.

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

That worked. Thanks! I need to spend some time understanding *why* it works…

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Since your inputs are being sent POST FADER to Mix 5&6 and the faders on that Mix layer are at Unity (not adding or subtracting any level sent to it by the top layer input channel) for the mix that means that all of those input fader levels of Mix 5&6 are dependent upon the L/R mix. Each time you change a level on the L/R mix layer it will also change it on Mix 5&6.
    Mix Outputs 1 through 10 on any Qu are functionally the same as AUX outputs on an analog console, so if you’re transitioning from using analog consoles it might be easier for you to think of them as AUX outputs (with processing on each output). If I recall correctly the SQ console line refers to them as AUX output channels.

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Got it, I think. Thanks, very helpful. So the fader we’re talking about when I pick post fader is the LR fader, which makes the mix act like an aux send, and is dependent on the LR mix levels. If I set up a mix as pre-fader, then I’m tapping the signal before the LR faders, which makes them independent mixes.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The SB has one matrix mix out that could be set up as an additional L R output.

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Yes, thanks, I found that as well. Nice to have the XLR outs, tho.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you connect a stage box to the SB the outputs on the stage box can be configured to just about anything you want and they are all XLR.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.