Sending Audio via XLR to Camera

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Sending Audio via XLR to Camera

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob-Spence Rob-Spence 5 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

We have news camera people onsite to video a service and send signal out to web cast. How do I send them a signal via XLR through the GLD112?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Assign a matrix or aux to a socket. Adjust level to camera as needed from strip. They may have mic level so you need to pull the fader down to suit them. If line level you should be ok.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Doug,

One thing I would advise is to NOT simply give him a copy of what you are sending to the FOH speakers because of EQ and dynamic processing it may contain. Instead make sure the camera audio is picked off before FOH processing. It will sound better if the audio is processed in post production if at all.

Also if you are near the feedback threshold and are modulating the main FOH fader you will change what is feeding the camera audio track.

Any camera worth its weight in salt will have switchable line/mic level input too. Use line in.

John

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

One thing I would advise is to NOT simply give him a copy of what you are sending to the FOH speakers because of EQ and dynamic processing it may contain. Instead make sure the camera audio is picked off before FOH processing. It will sound better if the audio is processed in post production if at all.

This sort of thing is why a feed the PA from a stereo matrix, even though the matrix only receives LR. The PA’s EQ is done on the matrix, leaving the LR bus “pristine”. Each separate output, overflow room etc. gets it’s own matrix so they can have their own processing.

Chris

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

Per John above, I always instruct camera people to with their xor inputs to line also. sometimes, they don’t even know they have that!

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

I know this is a 5 year old thread, but I’m still not certain the best route to go (yes still a newbie).
    1) I have an XLR run from the board to the camera and setup an AUX.
    2) Hindsight that is not what I need, I need a feed that matches that of the main mix.
    3) I have done a little reading and a watched a few videos and it looks like I want to use a matrix.
    4) I’m not in front of my board, so do I just assign a main mix to a matrix?
    5) Do I send the matrix through one of the outputs (as I usually do with an aux or LR)?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You can use an AUX too, but set the pick point to “post everything” and make sure the aux sends are all “post fader”.

Set the aux sends all to 0db, and then if you need any changes, turn those channel’s aux sends up or down slightly to vary the main mix. They aux will still follow the main mix in genearl, but you can still modify the mix to better suit your video needs.

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

Best practice is to ALWAYS isolate any output you are sending to someone else!

There are isolation boxes you can buy or, simply use a passive DI in reverse.

Why? The 3rd party may have phantom power turned on for their mic input. Phantom power applied to an output of a mixer may cause distortion or even damage, depending on the specific mixer.

Most cameras or camcorders use local condenser mics. Condensers need phantom power. Video folk may not think of turning off phantom or may not know how.

Protect your rig from them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.