Second pair or speakers for vocals only

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Second pair or speakers for vocals only

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 6 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Levin
    Levin
    Participant

I have an upcoming gig in which the venue is requesting I set up an extra pair of speakers in the back of the room for announcements. I want a way to easily control this from the stage as the band plays I don’t want any sound in those speakers. But during the announcements, I want to be able to quickly turn those up with the vocal mics only. How should I route/mix this? I just got this mixer.

Profile photo of Victor Kennedy
    Victor Kennedy
    Participant

You could try using one of the Mono output sends or one of the stereo output sends. These are usually used for monitors, but no reason they can’t be applied for this task, assuming you haven’t already assigned them for other monitoring functions.

Profile photo of Victor Kennedy
    Victor Kennedy
    Participant

PS: You could have a dedicated MixSend (from 1,2,3,4, OR 5+6, 7+8, 9+10) which had all of the ‘Band’ chanels OFF and you just bring the Mic up in that mix/send. Depending on your overall routing you may need to ‘instantiate’ that mix/send OFF / ON during the performance.

Hope I’ve described this sufficiently for you.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Many ways of doing this.

Is the announcement mic just the singer’s mic, or is there a dedicated mic? If it’s dedicated to announcements, them the Talkback input may be useful.

As well as all the Mix outputs you (may) have available, your desk may have group & matrix outs depending on which one it is.

Or the Alt Out, may be useful as it can easily be turned down when not wanted and can even take its signal from PAFL if you’re running out of busses.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Like Mark said there’s many ways to do that from a QU mixer, what mixer do you have.

I was also going to mention the ALT OUT since it is on a old fashioned grab and turn knob and in the IO set up you can pick up the send to the alt out from any of the mixes outputs.

How ever you do the routing to your rear fill speakers think about adding some delay to that output to help sync up what sound is arriving in the back of the room from the speakers in the front, an easy guideline to go by is 1 millisecond for foot of distance.

Profile photo of Levin
    Levin
    Participant

Thanks for the responses Victor and Mark! The announcement mic will just be the main vocal mic used during the band performance. The band will stop, and announcements will be made thru that mic in which at that point i would need the vocal mic to be heard in the back of house speakers.

It seems that just sending a group output to those speakers with only the vocal mic turned up in that mix would be easiest.

Profile photo of Levin
    Levin
    Participant

Mike, I have the qu 24. How would I go about setting up the speaker delay for the back of house speakers? Just a regular delay FX on the mix channel?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Each output from the board has its own output delay, so you can use the delay on the Group. No need to use FX.

Try reading the manual, in this case p. 41.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Here’s another concept and it will help you get familiar with what your board can do!

What ever mic is going to be used for the announcements split that mic between two inputs on the board either using an XLR Y cable or if you have a stage box that can be done in the IO patching.

One channel of that mic split is set up for normal band vocal use.

The other channel of the mic is set up only for announcement use, routing to main and the rear speakers and maybe even EQ’d differently for the speaking voices instead of singing voices.

After all of that you will set two mute groups….

One mute group will mute the mic channel that is used for the announcements and maybe to be safe the mix that is feeding the rear speakers.

The second mute group will mute the mic channel that is used for band vocals as well as all of the other band vocal and insturment inputs and all of the stage monitor mixes that the band is using.
    (when most people get up to make announcements who don’t normally speak into microphones hearing themselves in a monitor makes them talk softer or just get scared)

When the band is done you hit the mute group for the band mics to mute them and then hit the mute group that will unmute the mic channel used for the announcements.

You could also do the same thing with scene recalls, one scene has the announcement mic channel muted a second scene has all the band inputs muted.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The mute groups can be assigned to the soft keys on the mixer surface for easy access, the soft keys can also be assigned to make scene recalls as well.

Rear fill /zone fill speakers really do make a difference in evening out system coverage in large or odd shaped rooms, I do it fairly often.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.