Seamless Scene Recall/Transition

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Seamless Scene Recall/Transition

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

Lately I have been using scenes on my QU-16 to simply recall custom fader layouts. Effectively, this just creates more custom layers. In general, everything works great – with one large exception: Whenever I hit the soft key that recalls a given scene, there is a brief dropout in the audio, which renders this mixing workflow useless. I know that I am, perhaps, bending the rules of how scenes are generally used, but is there any way for me to achieve a seamless transition between scenes?

If this isn’t possible, it would certainly add huge value to the QU series if there was a software update that added more custom layers and could be assignable to soft keys.

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

Lately I have been using scenes on my QU-16 to simply recall custom fader layouts. Effectively, this just creates more custom layers. In general, everything works great – with one large exception: Whenever I hit the soft key that recalls a given scene, there is a brief dropout in the audio, which renders this mixing workflow useless. I know that I am, perhaps, bending the rules of how scenes are generally used, but is there any way for me to achieve a seamless transition between scenes?

If this isn’t possible, it would certainly add huge value to the QU series if there was a software update that added more custom layers and could be assignable to soft keys.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Did you try global filters on everything except the custom layer?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

I did some further troubleshooting and found the source of the issue. When recalling a channel that is on a console preamp, the transition is completely smooth, however when using a D-snake preamp, there is a quarter second (roughly) dropout, even when recalling the same scene that is currently being used. This glitch even occurs when every single parameter is blocked from recall and all channels are safed.

The fact that the transition is seamless, with the onboard preamps tells me that the transition should probably be seamless with the D-snake preamp as well, but that is not the case. Additionally, the fact that this glitch happens even on safed channels, negates the usefulness of a safed channel.

I did try using a global filter rather than the individual scene filter and there was no difference.

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

Also, I am sorry that this post is in the wrong area. I tried to delete and re-spost in troubleshooting, but this post didn’t delete, so now I have two identical in General and Troubleshooting..

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

When you create these scenes are you allowing the scene to change every single channel and routing parameter or have you selected only specific parameters to change?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I do this all the time on a GLD. Make sure you have the recall filters set correctly.

Chris

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Alex,
    I will test your issue with my Qu24 and AR2412 and see if I get the dropout too.

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

Thank you for your responses. I accidentally duplicated this thread in the General section and most of the replies have been in that thread, so in an effort to keep everything in one thread, please post any further responses there. Sorry about the mess!

Here is what further troubleshooting found:

I did some further troubleshooting and found the source of the issue. When recalling a scene with channels that are only a console preamp, the transition is completely smooth. However when using a dSnake preamp (on the AR2412), there is aproximately a quarter second dropout across all active channels that are using the stagebox’s preamps. This happens even when recalling the same scene that is currently being used as well as when every single parameter is blocked from recall and all channels are safed.

The fact that the transition is seamless, with the onboard preamps tells me that the transition should probably be seamless with the dSnake preamp as well, but unfortunately, that is not the case. Additionally, the fact that this glitch happens on safed channels, seems to negate the usefulness of a safed channel.

This issue renders much of the scene functionality on the QU console useless to me, because I always have open, safed channels that should not drop out when I switch scenes.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Two issues:

1. What firmware?

2. Does the problem occur if you change scenes directly rather than using a soft key?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

1. The firmware is Version 1.8

2. I haven’t tested the scene change directly yet, but the soft keys did work flawlessly with the console’s preamps. The problem occurs when using the AR2412 preamps.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

1.8 or 1.82?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

1.82, I believe, as I don’t actually think that there was an 1.8 even, now that I am looking back.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

there is a brief dropout in the audio, which renders this mixing workflow useless.”

I get the same exact results here with my Qu24 running 1.82 and an AR2412, and could not agree with you more.

In my experiment, I was not using the custom layer.
    I made the L/R safe with the left and right mains connected to the AR2412 L/R (11-12) outputs and get the 100 millisecond dropout you speak of Alex. That is just a guess on the time of the dropout. When the left and right mains are connected to the console’s L/R outputs it yields the same unacceptable results. 🙁

I even set scene filters to block Output patch, Mix and L/R processing and those don’t help either.
    I am reasonably confident that A&H will fix this. I refuse to believe that this is a problem with the D-snake design or the AR2412 because I too do not have this issue with a GLD,… well not that I am aware of.

Hmmm, maybe I should check the GLD too.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Alex said…
    there is a brief dropout in the audio, which renders this mixing workflow useless.

I get the same exact results here with my Qu24 running 1.82 and an AR2412, and could not agree with you more.

In my experiment, I was not using the custom layer.
    I made the L/R safe with the left and right mains connected to the AR2412 L/R (11-12) outputs and get the 100 millisecond dropout you speak of Alex. That is just a guess on the time of the dropout. When the left and right mains are connected to the console’s L/R outputs it yields the same unacceptable results. 🙁

I even set scene filters to block Output patch, Mix and L/R processing and those don’t help either.
    I am reasonably confident that A&H will fix this. I refuse to believe that this is a problem with the D-snake design or the AR2412 because like Chris, I do not have this issue with a GLD and an AR2412 either…. well not that I am aware of.

Hmmm, maybe I should check the GLD too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.