Scenes vs shows

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Scenes vs shows

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MikeShand MikeShand 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Hello guys,

While preparing for the next show I realized I don’t really understand the difference between a scene and a show. I’ve tried the search function but didn’t find an answer.

Anyone care to help me out ?

Thanks !

Giga

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

See chapter 11.13 “USB Data – Show transfer” in The Manual.
    The term “show” represent the current Qu setup including all scenes which can be safed to and restored from an USB stick.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Thanks Andreas. Still not quite clear though; the manual states a show stores basically evrything except networksettings and user profiles but doesn’t a scene do the same thing ?
    Is if safe to say scenes and shows are the same thing apart from the fact scenes are stored on the Ipad (in my case) and shows are stored on an external drive ? If so, why can I still store scenes to the drive if I choose to de so ? 🤔

Giga

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

I might be thinking of gld (or perhaps something non a&h entirely, it’s been a long day,) but iirc a scene is a file with a bunch a settings re faders, eqs etc, a show is a collection of scenes.

Profile photo of Chuck
    Chuck
    Participant

Yeah, Giga, I don’t understand the difference either. I have found that a scene does not store a channel name if you have done so while a show does. I have stopped using scenes at this point, just using shows. Now, mind you, I know the least of anyone about these mixers but I’ve not found a good explanation of the difference.

Chuck

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

A show saves the entire setup of the desk including scenes, libraries and all the various settings ( with one or two exceptions). Crucially, You can only recall shows in their entirety.

A scene saves most, but not all of the settings on the desk. However the crucial difference is that you can control which aspects of a scene are recalled using filters. So for example you could have a scene that only changes a single channel or group of channels. Or one that just changes some compressor settings etc.etc.

Hope this helps you understand the difference.

Oh, and in general you don’t want to be recalling a show during live sound. It typically takes a few seconds and goodness knows what happens to the sound during the recall. Whereas a scene recall is much faster and can be used in forcexample live theatre ( with certain oft expressed limitations).

So shows are for…. entire shows, and scenes are for… well… scenes!

Profile photo of Chuck
    Chuck
    Participant

Cool, thanks Mike!!

Chuck

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

That was an awesome and down to earth explanation Mike. A follow-up question: by your logic a show (f.i. An entire evening with multiple artists) could consist of, say, 25 scenes. How do you store all those scenes into one show ?

Mucho thanks for your reply anyway !

Giga

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

See section 10.10 on pages 58ff of the manual. Note that you can have up to 100 individual scenes per show on the QU and as many shows as you like (within the limitations of the memory or USB stick etc.)

When you save (or recall) a scene it is saved into (or recalled from) the current configuration in the desk. If you want that configuration including all the associated scenes saved, then save it as a show.

Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.