scenes and mix selects

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions scenes and mix selects

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of avenueservices
    avenueservices
    Participant

So, i’m trying to see if I can setup a scene change that when recalled selects a chosen mix select? Everything I have tried when saving scenes and recalling them to have a specific mix select selected doesn’t;t work. Scene recall seems to not note the mix selected when scene is saved.

Is anyone aware of if this is possible?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi!

The currently selected mix is not stored in a scene, as this is a surface setting that isn’t stored by the mixer. For example, if you select a mix and then power cycle the mixer, it will return the the LR mix.

You can find more information on what is stored in a scene here: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_10.pdf#page=59&zoom=auto,-274,841

Thanks!
    Alex

avenueservices
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I understand that its a surface setting, but why then do other surface settings get scene saved? Like custom layer strip for instance? Also, as the QU series is the surface and the brain all in one, could that be allowed as a means to recall certain scenes for specific functions that give the recall direct access to certain parameters that are required for a scene recall – ie allowing a specific Mix select to be recalled?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @avenueservices,

This is because the settings for the surface such as the custom strip layout and softkeys are differences that can be stored, but when you interact with the surface (e.g. by selecting a mix), you have not necessarily changed anything, it’s more that you are just viewing a different set of controls.

It’s an interesting request though – could you give more information on how you would be using it? We might be able to suggest an alternative.

Thanks,
    Keith.

avenueservices
    Participant

Hi keith.

Thanks for the reply. Helpful to read.
    The scenario is that a church would like to have an option to recall a scene that has an AUX mix output selected by default over the Main Mix output. They use backing tracks for a small choir and the issue is some tracks are at different levels over others. So, when the scene is recalled, the aux send mix is selected ready to adjust if the backing track level to the foldback speakers needs quick adjustment as a prefade control. Then recall back to a different scene with the Main mix bus selected. Does that make more sense?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

It’s my understanding that scenes do save mix fader levels. Create scenes for each different mix situation.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The scenario is that a church would like to have an option to recall a scene that has an AUX mix output selected by default over the Main Mix output. They use backing tracks for a small choir and the issue is some tracks are at different levels over others. So, when the scene is recalled, the aux send mix is selected ready to adjust if the backing track level to the foldback speakers needs quick adjustment as a prefade control. Then recall back to a different scene with the Main mix bus selected. Does that make more sense?

I see what your going for but as far the number of button pushes go what is the difference from just hitting the mix select button make the adjustment and select back to the main mix.

You could create a custom layer with the needed mix master level fader in the custom
    layer at all times.

Another idea would be to split the input of the backing tracks two feed two channels, either with Y cables at the back of the mixer or if they are coming from a stage box input you could just patch that input to two separate channels.

One channel would only feed the main mix and nothing else, the other channel would not be assigned to feed the main mix, the mix/aux feed for that channel would be set to post fade in this case so adjusting from the main mix surface
    the “other” channel would change the levels feeding the choir monitor.

I take it this is for simplified everyday use, with the split channel set up there would be no need to change mix layers.

avenueservices
    Participant

thanks for thoughts… Trying to keep it simple for the user. minimal button presses to help them. If scene saves won’t save the state of which mix is selected then will have to work out an equally simpler option. Cheers all

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

A simple card with instructions on which buttons to press to switch from LR input faders to mix faders attached to the board.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.