Scene Recalls Revisited

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Scene Recalls Revisited

This topic contains 48 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stonepiano Stonepiano 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

I´ve been bitchin´about this crazy scene memory-thing for some time now, and I will continue to do so, because I´ve realised that the mess is even worse than I thought at first. My Qu-24 has Alzheimer´s disease. Not every function follows scene-changes. The console behaviour is so irrational, that I can´t even pinpoint the actual doings any more. At least FX2-send and mix 5-6 (my surround pair at the moment) are not saved in scene memory. They are, at first, but in the next show, when the time comes to recall a certain scene, the settings are not saved. And like said, most settings are.

So, instead of giving us a latching talkback-button with a firmware update, please sort this bug out A&H, and pretty darn quick also. These anomalies ruin my work.

T.K.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I have not experienced the “problem” you cite. Reading through all your posts on various topics it seems you’re spending your time fighting with the board trying to get it to work your way rather than learning how the board works.

Patience, my friend. If you can post the exact set-up sequence you’re using, perhaps one of us can point out anything you’ve overlooked.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Well, as previously mentioned, I have my scene recalls on a softkey (10). Now, if I tweak settings on a particular scene, and highlight it from the list, it then appears as the current scene on the right-hand side of the screen, where you can then store the settings, supposedly. I press store, and the bottom bar indicates the same scene twice, don´t know why that is? So I press next once to actually queue the next scene. Sometimes, somehow my fx sends I made for the previous scene remain on the next recalled scene, among some other sends. Nothing else is filtered, but the softkeys, no safes on anything. When I return to the scene I originally wanted to adjust, the settings I made are not there.

So please shed some light on what am I doing wrong here?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I think it boils down to what I pointed out before. “Next” scene is just what’s highlighted on the scenes screen. “Curr” scene is the name of the last scene to be recalled, hence it’s blank on powerup.

If I’m right then it isn’t a bug, it’s a wording issue around the labels “Curr” and “Next” on the toolbar.

I also think Dick is correct in his assessment that “you’re spending your time fighting with the board trying to get it to work your way rather than learning how the board works.”

Dick Rees
    Participant

The problem is in your misconception. You really need to follow the manual on this. There is nothing wrong with your console. Don’t feel bad, just start all over again and follow the instructions in the manual carefully. Forget the LS-9.

For one thing, the scene indicated on the right side of the toolbar is the next or up-coming scene, not the currently selected scene. Your statement above “it then appears as the current scene on the right-hand side” is mistaken or stated in error.

You must recall a selected scene in order to tweak and save. If you’re getting an over-write notice and ending up with the same scene displayed on both the left/current and right/next positions it is because you THINK you’re working on one scenen but are actually working on another.

I think you should also review the soft key assignment functions:

Recall Scene – Instantly recalls the scene number assigned to the SoftKey.
    Scene Store Current – Instantly stores the current mixer settings to the last recalled scene. This is shown in the ‘Curr:’ bar.
    Scene Recall Go – Instantly recalls the Scene shown in the ‘Next:’ bar.
    Scene Next – Advances to the next scene in the list.

And don’t forget to check that auto-increment is enabled.

You just have to know exactly where you are when you’re working on something. It appears now that you think you’re in one place when you’re really in another.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If nothing else the wording needs serious looking at…

Stonepiano
    Participant

There has been quite a lot of complaints about the confusing logic surrounding the scene memory logic in these forums. I´ll try once more to set this straight:

– I have my “scene next”-softkey set up to be “scene recall go/auto increment on”
    – When I press next, recall/store/clear on the right side of screen for the queued next scene, bottom bar shows
    current/next
    – I now highlight the current scene from the list, and press “recall”, the right side now shows the name of the current scene
    – I press “store”, thinking that I am now storing the scene which appears as “current” on both sides of the screen
    – After “storing” bottom bar indicates both “next” and “current” to be the same, with same scene-number
    – I now press the softkey again. and now bottom bar shows the current scene and the next
    – The end result: some of the sends are not stored

I have read the manual inside & out, but it still won´t tell me, why all my eq, comp/gate, fx type/parameter- settings follow scene changes, but some fader sends do not? At the moment these include FX2 input channel sends (FX1,3 & 4 work), FX1 & 2 returns, FX1 & 2 returns to mix 5-6. All mono mixes follow scene changes, as do all master sends.

So just tell me this is not confusing! I have 50 more shows ahead of me, and there is just no way I´ll “start all over again”, 47 scenes with radical parameter changes…

P.S. It is still ridiculous, that softkey assignment “scene previous” cannot be “auto incremented”. You press previous, and you have to recall it from the touchscreen, obliterating the whole idea of a quick recall. If you need to go back to a previous scene, it´s usually in a situation where it needs to be done fast.

Dick Rees
    Participant

What wording?

The console is just doing what he tells it to do. Unfortunately, he’s not where he thinks he is and is editing/saving one scene when he thinks he’s editing/saving another.

Unless I’m grossly mistaken, you must recall a scene in order to edit it…not just highlight it. It appears that the OP is merely highlighting the scene he wishes to edit, not recalling it, then when he hits “save” it overwrites the current scene.

This is the only logical explanation I can think of to account for what he says is happening.

Stonepiano
    Participant

… and when I press that friggin´ “store”- button, the dialogue asks me to confirm the overwrite, and the scene number and name matches with the currently recalled scene. So there you have it.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Yes Dick, you are grossly mistaken if you think I don´t know how to recall a scene.

Stonepiano
    Participant

The manual actually says: “RECALL- Touch this button to instantly recall a scene, overwriting the current settings.” What the Heck do they mean by this? Don´t want to overwrite anything by just recalling a different scene. There´s some “wording” right there…

But OK, am I really become so confused by all this, that when I press “scene recall go”, highlight the current scene, recall it once more at the touchscreen, press “store” and confirm the overwrite to a one specific number of a scene, I am actually working on something else? Is this really what you guys are trying to tell me? Come on…

Stonepiano
    Participant

Let me give you an example of my console´s behaviour:

– I send FX2 return to mix 5-6 on a scene
    – I move to the next scene, where no such setting has been made, but the FX-return fader is up there, in the same position as I put it in the previous scene. No Filtering, nothing safed. This can´t be right. Mind you, I most definitely know what scene I´m on, because they have a name and a number to go with it. Have no duplicate scenes. And I only have this one particular scene, where I´m sending the return to this particular mix. But it remains there, in all consecutive scenes- I have to remove it manually at every scene-change.

Perhaps another one: I send FX2 to an input channel, store it -by the book- move to the next scene, all other parameters, mutes and such, change with the scene, but the FX-send is sticking in there like a sore thumb. And it never was stored in that following scene.

Dick Rees
    Participant

OK, now that there’s more complete info on your procedure I’ll just ask…have you done a hard reset on the desk?

Stonepiano
    Participant

I did it a while back, and it solved a couple of problems I had at that time. Thinking of doing it again, I have the show stored on a USB-key, but since I can´t trust the console, I´m a little bit hesitant to rely on a complete show to load correctly…

Stonepiano
    Participant

One more detail- maybe someone knows if this is normal:

If I recall a scene, the bottom row shows the recalled scene twice, for it to be both “curr” and “next”. I need to give the scene recall go an extra push in order to get to a place where the actual next scene is queued.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.