Scene filters

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Scene filters

Tagged: 

This topic contains 31 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stonepiano Stonepiano 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

Hello,

About global filtering: I have certain parameters blocked. Now if I tweak, say, blocked EQ/comp- settings on a certain scene, and store the scene anew, do my changes apply to all subsequent scenes? Do I have to unblock the parameters before storing the new settings (and then block them again) ?

Thanks U

Stonepiano
    Participant

Why not just answer a simple question- the manual is unclear on the subject. And I have a premiere coming up in a couple of days… still struggling with the counter-intuitive scene-system. Have had sudden gain jumps etc.
    And please, try to implement an auto-incremental “scene previous”- softkey-command. Getting back now is just too slow.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Block only affects Scene recall.
    When you press Store, you are storing all parameters regardless of current filter settings.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Really? Well I´m still trying to get to grips with the filter-logic… I want to have a different eq on one input for my last scene. I make the changes and store- the new curve finds its way to all scenes. I have ch/st blocked. The screen states that a filter affects all scenes (that´s why it´s “global”, I guess), but on the other hand “you can have different filters for each scene”. This is where I get confused- what do I need to block or allow to have a change affect only one scene?

B.R.
    T.K.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You need to unblock the eq, then make sure all the other scenes have the eq the same.

OR, adjust the block before you load the final scene…

OR recall the eq from a library when you recall the last scene…

Stonepiano
    Participant

Seems like a contradiction here- I would have thought disabling the block from the scene before the last would allow a different setting to affect only the last scene… what I do not understand, that while the manual says you can have different filters for each scene, unblocking a parameter from one scene unblocks it globally. What is this “per scene”- filtering, then?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

You missed the buttons down the side of the list that say “Filter” next to each scene. Those are you per-scene filters. Global scene filter is global.

Your firmware is up to date, I take it? Although scene filtering isn’t that recent a feature.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Yes, running 1.8. Now I get it- the per scene/global tabs. I´ve been too global so far…

Stonepiano
    Participant

Somewhere along the way I forgot the independent tabs and tried to make per scene tweaks under global settings, case closed.

Stonepiano
    Participant

…or so I thought. The whole thing is getting too weird for me. I have a certain setting for walk-in music for my first scene, the from there on the eq is flat for that channel. It stays that way until I reach the last scene, then when I return to the beginning, the first scene mysteriously has changed the eq-curve to that of the last scene. Everything is fine for all other scenes. No matter which combination of blocking I apply, I cannot move from last scene to the first without the console ignoring the original eq.
    If I were to design a scene-memory system for a console, it certainly wouldn´t be like this- there is way too much room for errors, too many parameters bundled under “CH/ST”, for instance. You can´t trust your decisions when the board works against you.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

so let me try and understand your scenario..

The parameters in question are your PEQ settings for a particular channel.

scene 1: a certain PEQ setting for walk-in music
    scene 2..N: a flat PEQ setting

where exactly are you putting the scene filters, in scene 1? it sounds like you don’t actually need filters at all.

bear in mind when you “block” an element of a scene, you leave in place whatever’s in the current desk state. it sounds like you have a scene filter on scene 1, blocking the recall of your certain PEQ setting for walk-in music.

Stonepiano
    Participant

I feel I’ve made every possible mistake as far as scene-settings go, and started to be afraid of the CH/ST- button, not knowing if I dare to allow the parameters to change or not…
    I have a couple of input channels where there are eq/comp- setting alterations during the course of the show, the aforementioned walk-in being one of them. Now, if I tweak a setting on a scene and store it, are you saying that if nothing is blocked, all other scenes are unaffected? So maybe I could just block preamp-gains globally, since they are about the only settings that stay the same trough the show, and just forget about blocking other parameters? Now that would relieve my anxiety a lot… but I am still afraid of recalling some past eq-settings that are not valid anymore. That’s why I blocked the eq in the first place- when I finally settled on a curve with that horrendous oud-lute, I did not want any changes to happen no matter what else might be going on.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Just to clarify: the “walk-in” channel also plays all my special effects, that’s why there are different settings per scene. Some stuff that was sent to me required drastic eq-corrections. Made in bedroom, you know…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Can you quantify “couple”?
    Not sure if I’d go with such a setup live. If you only need few changes between songs, why not use the channel libraries?
    Scenes are great to run events with several bands using totally different setups, mics, singers etc. For tweaking only few effects this sounds like a big overkill to me and I’d also fight with scene and global filters for things which should not change (like drum EQ, monitoring, room EQ etc.).

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I am with Andreas on this one. It’s amazing to me how new to dig people try to overkill everything. Just stick to basics. How would you have done it on an analog board? That will still probably work best for you now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.