Scene Filters should not change after changing mix configuration

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Scene Filters should not change after changing mix configuration

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mixJM mixJM 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Does anybody really care about new users?

Even experienced sound people can be new to the Qu digital stuff and how it works considering the nuances like filters and when they are active and when/how to set them.

Which preference of old users should win out?

I would tell AH that a more user friendly device that is more intuitive or at least documented a lot more thoroughly would be in their best interests saleswise. Perhaps some of these things which default should be set up globally during the initial sysgen so as to give each side their choice of how it would work when they use it. But they will say it is at the bottom of their list if they even consider it.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@williamadams

we don’t talk about Qu
    you have no idea what we talk about and your comment is not useful on this

Profile photo of mixJM
    mixJM
    Participant

Steffen R,
    I deliberately used this title and I chose the wording because I see it this way. Filters are meant to be used to allow certain elements to be recalled on a scene by scene basis, while blocking everything else, regardless of the mixer configuration. Allen heath themselves encourage using this, for example together with Soft Key “SEL, PAFL, MIX, SCENE” which can recall previously filtered scenes with fader layouts only. For a monitor engineer last minute guest musician that would require assigning an additional aux in the mixrack configuration would cause all those “layout only” scenes to completely reset the guest musician mix. Who would want that?

Would you be so kind to present at least one scenario where even the least advanced user would set filters in individual scenes and where she/he would expect some later changes in the mixrack configuration to be effectively reset upon recalling those previously stored scenes?

The logic that sits behind filters is to make a recall focused on selected things. Future changes in the mixer configuration are currently causing resetting those newly added items (fader banks in larger control surfaces, new buses, stereo/mono channels, dx extenders preamp) bringing their settings to their default state when recalling filtered scenes. If it isn’t a huge problem for the majority of users reaching for scene filters, then I would be clearly missing something. If I do, please explain what.

Profile photo of mixJM
    mixJM
    Participant

I would also like to stress that I am not suggesting any changes to scenes without filters.

Basic users can actually burn themselves as well, not knowing that a factory scene “Fader Layout” might actually reset some unwanted mix settings if any changes were made to the mix rack configuration beforehand. I can imagine a situation like this happening.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

my monitor setups require no mixrack changes for additional artists
    already prepared enough mixes

but an unexpierienced user recalling scenes and nochting happens… hmm
    this will always happen when all filter are set to block by default

Profile photo of mixJM
    mixJM
    Participant

Let me rephrase once again:

– for scenes with filters, the new mix configuration items should default to “block”
    – for scenes without filters the filters are not set at all, there’s no filter icon next to the scene name, so no change here. Imagine it as default to “allow”

There will be no confusion at all for unexperienced users. Quite the contrary.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.