Save Graphic EQ to Scenes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Save Graphic EQ to Scenes

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mfk0815 Mfk0815 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Phil91
    Phil91
    Participant

Sorry in advance if someone has already asked this question, i couldnt find any answers via search bar.

I’m about to install this QU16 into a local church and want to store my 31 band EQ settings into one of the scene memories, but despite what I’m trying the EQ doesn’t seem to save.

I’ve tried all extremes from selecting ALL to SAFE and DE-selecting all SAFE and set all GLOBAL options to ALLOW.

But if I save it and then muck around making the 31 band EQ into the horrible smiley face pattern than I know my customers will do, then recalling my scene doesn’t change that EQ, its still smiling at me.

The L/R and mix busses seem to save as the faders return to what I stored them at, but EQ (31 band) keeps smiling at me which is not ideal.

I’m sure this can be done and the QU16 is new to me so hoping someone can shed some light and tips on this

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Check the “safes” menue, the selection buttons should be grayed out not blue.

Personally I use the parametric EQ’s more than the graphic EQ’s for output EQ’ing.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Pls tell us why you do it that way.

I notice that on our system we have a box between the Qu and and power amp that provides graphic Eq.
    This seems to be left over from when we had the analog AH mixer.

But when the dealer tech recently tweaked our system he used both graphic EQ on the Qu and also the outboard box.
    Although it looks like all actual EQ is now from the Qu using the graphic EQ on out.
    We will use the parametric EQ on inputs as needed.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

once again… he was asking for help related to a particular problem
    and your answer is not related in any way to his problem

you should stop hijacking threads with unrelated content that is not useful in any way

and before you call me an obnoxious bully again
    I know that I’m also not really helpful in some threads
    but I try to give useful information in most cases
    at least I try

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I’m about to install this QU16 into a local church and want to store my 31 band EQ settings into one of the scene memories, but despite what I’m trying the EQ doesn’t seem to save.

I can save the GEQ to scenes with no problem
    so you have something wrong in your settings

keep in mind, the SAVE and Global options refer to the recall only
    they do not affect what is saved
    always all current relevant settings get saved to a scene
    and only the recall is defining what parameters are used

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Pls tell us why you do it that way.

I notice that on our system we have a box between the Qu and and power amp that provides graphic Eq.
    This seems to be left over from when we had the analog AH mixer.

But when the dealer tech recently tweaked our system he used both graphic EQ on the Qu and also the outboard box.
    Although it looks like all actual EQ is now from the Qu using the graphic EQ on out.
    We will use the parametric EQ on inputs as needed.

Ok I’ll enlighten you….again.

– A PEQ gives you more exact control of the frequency you need to adjust, than a fixed 31 band EQ can do.
    – Chances are with a PEQ you’ll actually need less “EQ”
    – They do not introduce as many phase issues/changes to the signal path.

– 31 band graphic EQ are what just about everybody used at some point, they are quick, fast and simple, in the days of digital mixers where every output has one available it make them the first choice.
    – In my analog system drive and monitor racks I have quite a few expensive 31 band EQ’s
    going unused. In my system processing insert racks I did have a couple analog PEQ’s

The more you talk about your system setup, the more it sounds like you have some music store salesman doing a hack job setting up your system….using two 31 band EQ’s one feeding the other to “set up” the system!!!!

Remember when I said you need to have someone who actually know what their doing to come in and straighten out your mess.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

@phil91 Did you remember to save/overwrite the scene in which you changed the GEC setting ?

Giga

Profile photo of Phil91
    Phil91
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, i’ll keep playing around with it further. the GEQ does save into the Libary (using the FN button) .. i’ve tried a lot of button options saving the scenes. i will reset the desk and start from fresh incase i’ve mucked something up. Cheers

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

GEQ and PEQ set to produce the same magnitude response will also have the same phase response. The PEQ will almost always get you closer to the EQ you actually want, whereas with the GEQ you’re more limited. Interestingly with digital PEQs you’re actually back to the situation of having to pick from a range of pre-set centre frequencies, but usually they’re close enough together for it not to matter too much.

Make sure you’re on the latest firmware version and that you’re also allowing everything in the per-scene filters, not just the global ones.

Chris

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

For me a PEQ has two important advantages. First you can select the center frequency of the filter more accurate than with the GEQ, which only allows you 31 different frequencies. Second you can adjust the Q-factor (or bandwidth). Especially for eliminating unwanted frequencies you can choose a higher q-factor (or narrower bandwidth) and so less musical influence as a GEQ band.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Also don’t overlook that you can sweep the frequency on a PEQ. Very useful for those that have not (yet) learned to identify where any problem is by ear alone.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Btw you can define recall safes on scene level or global. Lets spell S A F E. Not S A V E. This letter is important. Because each parameter you select for recall safe will not be recalled from the stored scene, these parameters will remain as they are at the moment. When you save a scene all possible parameters will be saved/stored.

Details of the scene save and recall management can be found in chapter 10.10 of the reference guide for the QU-16.

If you want to recall the mixer setup from a scene completely be sure that no parameters are blocked on the filters and no channel/bus is on safe.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

GEQ and PEQ set to produce the same magnitude response will also have the same phase response. The PEQ will almost always get you closer to the EQ you actually want, whereas with the GEQ you’re more limited. Interestingly with digital PEQs you’re actually back to the situation of having to pick from a range of pre-set centre frequencies, but usually they’re close enough together for it not to matter too much

I’ll clear up what I tried to elude to in my earlier post about phase, the phase interaction between filters/frequency bands is less with a PEQ than a graphic 31 EQ.

Note sure what you mean about digital PEO having preset center frequency ranges.
    On the QU you have a four band PEQ on all outputs and channels that are by color coding
    and on the surface EQ knobs labeled as low, low mid, hi mid, hi but you can sweep any of those to any frequency you want to across the spectrum.

My system DSP processors PEQ work the same way any PEQ filter can be set to any frequency.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Note sure what you mean about digital PEO having preset center frequency ranges.

I think that this means that you cannot use ane floating point number between 20 and 20000 Hz as center frequency. For instance on an X32, where you can read about details of the used protocol, there are 201 different values available for the frequencies of the PEQ. But 201 values are far mor than 31 of the GEQ.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.