Sample rates?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Sample rates?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of FastBikerBoy FastBikerBoy 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Skinslapper
    Skinslapper
    Participant

I’m considering buying a Qu-pac for my recording/rehearsal studio.

I’m just wondering if there is any chance lesser sample rates will be included in future firmware upgrades? If I’m going to be mixing down to 44/16, mp3 and god-knows what else, I’d prefer not to have another interface to handle playback.

Thanks.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I certainly can’t speculate on future updates but I find it unlikely. As I have said many times on here. I think this series albeit a great product, I am not one to promote it as a recording console. Not to discourage a sale being a dealer but I always tell folks to pick a product for their mission.

Many people do just mix to something that with do the converting. Like a Masterlink or even one guy I work with still mixes to 1/2″ analog. There are all kinds of methods. You could master it in a program to convert.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Conversion from 24/48 to 16/44 when mastering is a non-issue. Neither is mp3.

Don’t worry. It’s just fine(better) this way.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Downsampling to 44.1 as a final step after mix shouldn’t be a problem.
    Supporting multiple samplingrates or providing sync to other devices can’t be done by a firmware update if the hardware does not support it. I don’t think the Qu hardware is designed to support multiple samplingrates but limited by current firmware.

Skinslapper
    Participant

Any suggestions for a recording console in this price range?

I’m looking for a mixer with a minimum of 24 mic pres that I can use to record my band and run a couple of vocal mics through with comp, eq and reverb for band practice.

Profile photo of Zueri
    Zueri
    Participant

I don’t have an recommendations for you. But we as a band are using Qu-24 the same way. During band practice we record using QU-Drive or a PC. The reason we decided towards the QU instead of others is that we can use QU as console for concerts in places without console (or with bad ones, broken or whatever you find in small clubs) and as recording console. So we only have one console which works good for recording (even if it is not mainly made for this) but even better as live console.

We also never had problems with sample rate as you can just down sample to the rate you need as a last step in you workflow. So if you consider using QU not only for recording it is a good tool, for recording only there might be betters

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The only issue is if you mix digital sources and need sample rate locking between them. And that’s always an issue with the QU since it cannot clock slave.

Down sampling is lossless (Nyquist excepted) and should not be feared.

Skinslapper
    Participant

I have no concern about my ability to downsample, just that often I like to check these to make sure they worked before sending them out into the world.

Thanks for all the advice. This is a great piece of kit, but I might keep looking around a while longer.

Profile photo of darenager
    darenager
    Participant

Actually I’d find 44/16 handy as well, even if it was added as an effect to downsample (maybe with variable bit and rate) The reason I would like it is it would remove an extra step, and I rarely use a computer unless I have to. Not essential but handy.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Hi guy i recenntly got a qu 32 for my studio was using presonus 44vsl but now after connecting qu 32 my
    Some tracks in my old projects dont play in the correct place in the project. Could it be a sample rate problem

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Same question, same answer:
    Possible. Depends how your DAW handles the difference in samplingrate between the interface and your project. Maybe you just need to switch your project to 48kHz to get this fixed, maybe there’s more work…

Profile photo of Nosso_Estudio
    Nosso_Estudio
    Participant

It’s unbelievable that I cannot open a 44.1 Pro Tools session when using a Qu console. I have to change PT playback engine for another much more cheaper and ridiculous audio interface, convert all session (sometimes with a lot of tracks) to 48K, do the things I wanna do with Qu and convert back the session in 44.1 to send back to the customer. Nobody will convince me that sample rate conversion doesn’t degrade audio quality. Maybe I’m wrong then I´ll move to trash all the things I’ve learned about aliasing, jitter, dithering, clock generator, etc

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Nosso_Estudio

Down converting 48 to 44.1 could possibly degrade it enough for golden ears to hear.
    You could put your PT 44.1 on a usb and play it back on the Qu okay, so the manual says.
    You can play back, or record live from the Qu to the PC, at whatever your pc gear supports.

That said, if you first UPconvert to 96 or 192 , 384 anyone?, then down convert to 44.1 or 48 you will not lose anything significant.

I am not sure that you have a technical problem, maybe it is another issue.

Profile photo of FastBikerBoy
    FastBikerBoy
    Participant

It’s unbelievable that I cannot open a 44.1 Pro Tools session when using a Qu console. I have to change PT playback engine for another much more cheaper and ridiculous audio interface, convert all session (sometimes with a lot of tracks) to 48K, do the things I wanna do with Qu and convert back the session in 44.1 to send back to the customer. Nobody will convince me that sample rate conversion doesn’t degrade audio quality. Maybe I’m wrong then I´ll move to trash all the things I’ve learned about aliasing, jitter, dithering, clock generator, etc

I had this issue with my DAW (although I was aware I would when I purchased the QU).

All I did was convert the audio files using Izotope’s bulk resample in RX4 but there are plenty of freebie sample rate convertors out there that will handle bulk converts. Not sure about Pro tools but with my DAW of choice “Cakewalk” changing the sample rate of the files in the project audio folder automatically changes the project sample rate on re-opening. I did have some files that appeared to be truncated within the project which is apparently a result of my “converting the files behind Cakewalk’s back” but re-importing the same file fixed that issue. That allowed me to keep all of the other project data such as automation and envelopes etc intact with the minimum of effort.

HTH

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.